Wednesday, October 18, 2017

#Writing Wednesday - October 18th 2017

In case you missed my post about it from Monday:

"Frank The Friendly Ogre" is now available in audio, read for you by narrator Fred Theodore Fadick III.

You can buy the audio version from Audible, Amazon, and iTunes. See the post I just linked to for some links. There are links for the eBook and paperback editions in the post too, for those who prefer those formats.

Oh, and speaking of my books becoming available in audio: The blog tour for my degu books starts on Sunday, with posts on my own blog, as well as those of some nice people - many of whom are also authors - who have agreed to give me a spot on their blogs. I'll do a post round-up afterwards, like I did for the Toby books, so you can make sure you didn't miss anything. You especially don't want to miss the giveaway.

By the way, on the subject of giveaways, the ones for the Toby books are still open, since I haven't given away all the copies I'm offering. So, if you didn't enter and want a free set of the audiobooks, there's still time.

***

November is coming up fast, which means only one thing to many writers: NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is almost here. Will you be participating this year? If you haven't decided yet, this post discusses why you should do NaNoWriMo.

I won't be doing NaNoWriMo - despite the good reasons to do so - and won't even be setting my own personal challenge for it this year. I have enough going on this year as it is. If you'll be participating though, I wish you the best of luck.

Also, if you're doing NaNoWriMo this year, you may want to check out Rachel's NaNoWriMo posts, since she has a lot of great posts about getting ready for NaNoWriMo.

***

Titles - how important are they, and how do you come up with them? Check out the post I just linked to for some thoughts on the matter.

Regardless of your title, does writing feel like work or play to you? Or, perhaps, it's both? If you want to be serious about going somewhere with your writing, I hope it's both, because having that balance will help you through the more difficult aspects of writing. That's my opinion, anyhow. If you aren't finding your writing fun, it could be because of your fear of being judged and feeling like you aren't good enough, in which case you may want to take a look at this advice on overcoming the fear of judgement as a writer.

The other important thing you want to consider is when the best time to write is, because if you want to get any writing done, sometimes the best time to write is when works for your schedule. Bear in mind that, no matter when you write, if you've been struggling to get your writing time in, this next article could be the answer to why you haven't been able to make time to write - and how to fix that. Or, if inspiration is your problem rather than time, you might be interested in reading this post on finding and using writing prompts, which is a great reminder that inspiration can be found anywhere and everywhere.

Next, here are some tips on how to avoid some common punctuation mistakes. The article focusses on avoiding them in formal writing, but they're good things to try and avoid regardless of the type of writing you're doing.

No matter what you're writing, the age old advice about how you should write what you know is good advice. Just don't take that advice as literally as some people do.

Speaking of knowledge in writing: check out this great post on matching horses to use, climate, and character, so you can get it right in your own writing.

If there's a thief in your story, here are some things to think about when thieves have to work with others, because you often need them to do so.

Are you a self-published author who is confused about how much you should price your book at? You can use this price suggestion list as a guide. You don't have to go by those pricing rules, but it may help you to do so, and it's a good place to start if you aren't sure what price to use for your books.

Oh, and... On the subject of book sales... the CreateSpace eStore is closing. In short, links to books on the CreateSpace eStore will redirect to Amazon as from the end of October. Despite the fact I always give out my CreateSpace link for my paperbacks along with the others, people generally buy my paperbacks through Amazon rather than CreateSpace anyhow, so it's not a big deal from my point of view. I think it's the same for many authors, actually. I mean, royalties were better from the eStore, but that doesn't make much diffrence since sales rarely came from there. The issue that would be more likely to bother me would be the one mentioned in this post regarding the possibility of CreateSpace totally merging with Amazon. If they do so by offering all the options you get when publishing your paperbacks via CreateSpace, it wouldn't be so bad. But as it currently stands I don't think much of Amazon's own print book publication option. I don't mind the part about having to pay retail cost for books so much, but not being able to make sure the book is properly formatted before it goes on sale would bother me, as would not having it available to Canadian readers. Anyway, I've got the CreateSpace paperback links on my Smashwords book pages where it asks about the book being available in paperback. I'll leave those listed for now, because of the potentially better royalties until April. I suppose I'll have to change those at some point though.

Finally, here's something to think about if you've been asking yourself the question, "Should I give up writing?" Oh, and if it's because of certain writing myths you've been considering stopping writing, you might want to take a look at this list of myths about writing you need to stop believing.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Three cheers on Frank. I don't think I could finish my book even if NaNoWriMo wasn't coming up in a month! But it will motivate me to get more words down! Damn research!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks about Frank. As for your book: any progress is good progress.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm really on the fence about trying to participate in NaNoWriMo. I've never succeeded, but that doesn't mean I can't try again. November is shaping up to be fairly busy, so I'm just not sure. Thanks for sharing all of the links. I'll check them out, and hopefully that will help me to make a decision.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Even if you don't participate in NaNoWriMo this year, you can check out the links and bear the advice in mind ready for next year. Alternatively, you can not officially participate, but set yourself some kind of writing goal(s) for the month.