Monday, August 11, 2014

R.I.P. Castellan Keroberous

R.I.P. Castellan Keroberous
May 23rd 2004 - August 11th 2014.

***

Both before we had Kero and when he was a puppy I knew of dogs who were kept alive despite several health issues that made them miserable, so when Kero was a puppy I made him a promise. I promised him that if we were in a position where he was suffering and I had to decide between letting him suffer so I could have more time with him or putting him to sleep, then I would put him to sleep. I promised him he would never suffer when it could be avoided, and that I'd put what was best for him before anything else.

Today I kept my promise.

Kero hasn't been doing too well lately, so we took him to the vet today. He had chronic skin disease, and there wasn't much that could be done. The vet said it was the worst case she'd seen, and that she's never known a dog go from having clear skin to being really bad in such a short amount of time. I'm not sure of the cause of his other issues (the confusion, for example) but the skin disease would have been reason enough to end his suffering. So, I kept my promise and had him put to sleep.

I stayed with him through it, because I know he would have wanted me by his side.

He was a great dog; the best dog anyone could ask for. And I'm going to miss him dreadfully!

Rest in peace Castellan Keroberous. The little over 10 years you gave me were wonderful, and I'll never forget you!

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hugs.

He was a special dog - he loved his human with all his heart and that love was returned to him in full measure. No dog could ask for more.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Iggy!

Parsley said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!! HUGS

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so sorry, it is never easy to lose your best friend. If it helps you did the right thing...we always have to put their needs before ours...but it ain't easy:(

Victoria Zigler said...

Parsley:
Thanks!

Far Side of Fifty:
Thanks! It does help a little having others agree that I did the right thing. It doesn't take away the pain, but it stops me from constantly questioning whether or not I did the right thing, you know?

Rita said...

Blogger isn't letting me post for some reason, but I'll try one more time.

I am sure Kero would thank you for doing him this kindness. I know it was difficult and I am glad you were right by his side to the end. A decade of love flowing back and forth--will never be forgotten. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Rita!