Thursday, August 07, 2014

Rodent themed photos - August 7th 2014

I have some rodent themed photos for you today.

Jacob the degu meets Bilbo and Baggins the gerbils:


They've met like that several times since, and the other degus have gotten in on it too. Though it's Jacob who's most desperate to be friends with the gerbils, and who will try and get free to jump on to the top of their cage when you open the top of the degu cage.

I do also have a photo of just Bilbo meeting Jacob, but Blogger is refusing to allow me to upload it for some reason; despite it going up on Facebook just fine a few days ago.

Anyway... Now for some sleepy rodent photos...

Sleepy degus:


And a sleepy gerbil:


Bilbo is sleeping behind Baggins, but you can't see him in the photo.

4 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Interesting seeing how interested they are in seeing each other. I wonder if Jacob see's the other as a pet or a zoo animal?

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Not sure. It's also possible that he sees Baggins at least as a baby degu, since the main appearance differences are size. All we know for sure is that they really want to be friends.

Rita said...

They may be very curious about the gerbils, but I wouldn't trust them together, to be honest. Rodent fights are hard to break up without getting bitten and they can be quite bloody. Don't ask me how I know--LOL! Even though mine were not gerbils and degus. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Oh, don't worry, I have no intention of letting them meet properly. No matter how much they may want it, there's no way I'm going to risk not having bars separating them. We don't even risk having both cages open at once, in case we have an escape from both cages, or an escaping rodent who manages to get in the other cage. The closest they've been is when Jacob and Jasper (mostly Jacob) manage to slip past me and end up standing on top of the gerbil cage, but that only lasts for a few seconds and even then there are bars between them. Plus, I've gotten better at stopping even that happening now that I know they're going to try it. It's cute seeing them interested in each other like they are though.