Friday, November 14, 2014

Degu photos - November 14th 2014 (FD & kinda LBE)

I've got a few new degu photos to share today.

First, here are a couple of the degus enjoying the coconut shells I gave them after making the coconut cake I made from scratch back in September:


"Mmm... Nibbles!"


Here's the degus' latest cage:


We've had to make some changes to the layout since We added another hammock, and had to move things around so their bowls were on the bottom level because they thought it was great fun pushing them off and watching the food go everywhere. But you get the idea.

Here's one of the boys by one of the bowls before we moved them:


"Mmm... This wooden shelf tastes pretty good!"


One of the degus is obsessed with a wood and rope climbing toy we got them, which is designed for rats. He thinks it's very tasty!


Here's one of the boys on the wheel:


And here's one of them diving in to the sand bath:


And here are all four of the boys in their new cage:


Just before we got the new cage, we moved the degus and gerbils closer to the heater so they could benifit from the heat better when it started to get really cold (which it did not long after we moved them, and the weather's not been all that warm since). Judging by how they like to sleep on one of their ledges - right where they'd benifit most from the heater's heat - I'd say the degus approve.


They also very much approve of the hammocks I made for them.


I made the hammocks using wash cloths with small holes cut in the corners to thread the rings of keyrings through. The keyring rings are what are then used to atatch them to the bars of the cage. I got the idea from the one Luna had.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos of three of the degus just hanging out and enjoying the heat from the heater on a chilly morning:

OK, so I had more than a few degu photos to share, LOL!

4 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Aw. Such cutey pies!

Those hammocks are really cool! I've never seen the like!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Glad you enjoyed the photos! :)

I hadn't seen hammocks like that before either. Usually rodent hammocks are essentially rope nets with hooks on them (which tend to get chewed more than slept on). So when I learned how they'd done Luna's, I thought it was pretty cool, and when we got the new cage with space in it for them to have hammocks, I thought I'd make them one (then another, because they weren't happy with just the one; two degus can just about share one, but there are four degus). As I said, they're made from wash cloths and the rings from keyrings, though other things can be used; one of Luna's was made from a water bottle cover.

AliceKay said...

Cute little hammocks. Looks like they all enjoy having them.

Victoria Zigler said...

AK:
Yeah. Jasper and Joshua seem to like them best, and hardly a day goes by without one of those two being in one. But we know Jenks and Jacob have used them a couple of times too.