Sunday, December 21, 2014

Winter Solstice 2014

The times when the Sun is at its furthest from the celestial equator are called the summer and winter solstices and these occur in mid-summer and mid-winter. The word 'solstice' comes from the Latin solstitium meaning 'Sun stands still' because the apparent movement of the Sun's path north or south stops before changing direction.

This year the Winter Solstice falls on 21st December in the Northern hemisphere. The exact time astronomers would give for the Winter Solstice this year is 23:03 UTC (GMT)... 12 hours from now.

So... Happy Winter Solstice!

6 comments:

Rita said...

It will be nice to have a little longer days. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, it will. Though I've never really minded the shorter Winter days. I think shorter days are a fair price to pay for some snow... Not that we've had any so far this Winter, but you get my point, I'm sure.

Intense Guy said...

I for one, very much like seeing the days grow longer!!

I hate the dark evening drives home from work!

Happy Winter Solstice Tori!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks! :)

I don't blame you for prefering the Summer evenings for driving home from work.

AliceKay said...

Happy Winter Solstice!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, AK! :)