Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday's random mutterings: ocean musings



They say that on a very clear day, and if you stand in just the right spot, those with good enough eyesight can just about see a spec in the distance that is the French coast.

Whether or not it's true, I have no idea. My eyesight was never good enough at its very best for me to try it out for myself, and I don't know anyone confident enough in their own sight to be sure if the spec they can see really could be the French coast. In fact, most say all they can see is the ocean, and it's quite likely that the spec out to sea is actually just a far off boat, or one of the smaller islands off the British shore.

Goodness knows there are plenty of small islands out there, and almost always plenty of fishing boats too.

True or not, however, it's an interesting thought.

Also, if it isn't true, what started it? Was it a need to reach beyond our own shores?

I wonder if the French ever stand on their shore trying to see the British coast?

Or, perhaps, it's only those of us who live on small islands who so often attempt to look beyond our own shores?

Regardless, standing by the ocean on a beautiful day is a pleasant experience.

Although, to be honest, I like the ocean in all of her moods.

8 comments:

Fairytale said...

Well i don't see any specs , but its still a nice picture any way , and like you i love to hear the sea in all its moods ( i call it the sea breathing ) xx

Victoria Zigler said...

Grandma:
You're not meant to be able to; there's no spec in the photo. It's just something I thought about when Kelly took the above photo, so I thought I'd mention it while posting the photo.

Rita said...

Probably a sense of adventure and wishful thinking gets people to think they can see a far off shore. Who knows? Fun to imagine, though. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
You're probably right. I agree that it's fun to imagine though.

Jeanie said...

I love the ocean. Yes, all the moods are very special.

In the US presidential campaign about six years ago, the idiotic candidate for vice president (Sarah Palin -- she didn't win) said of her Alaska home, "I can see Russia from my backyard." (She couldn't but then how much of what any politician says is accurate?) This post reminded me of the refugees from Syria, so many who have taken small rubber boats across the water to get to safety. I suspect that when they saw land in the distance they thought "That's Greece," and probably not "That's a little island or something." The desire to see a journey's end, a place of safety could well override the reality of another land mass. Or maybe you can see France from your front yard! I wish I could~!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I suppose the only way you could know for sure, would be to fix your eyes on the land mass, and row towards it, hoping you found what you thought you would when you got there.

Intense Guy said...

I know during WWII the Germans could see England with binoculars while standing on the French shoreline (probably up in a tower).

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Then there's a good chance there's some truth to it...