Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Wednesdays writing related ramblings - Poem: The Rhyme That Slipped Away

The Rhyme That Slipped Away

Some time during the night (though I don’t know what time)
I lay awake, and in my head, appeared a perfect rhyme.
I had no way to write it down, and so I went to sleep,
Thinking morning would come soon, and the rhyme would surely keep.

But when I awoke next morning, I realized with dismay,
That while I slept, the rhyme, had simply slipped away.

I tried hard to remember it, and then I tried some more;
In fact, I tried so much, my head became quite sore.
But nothing worked, the rhyme was gone, to I do not know where,
And though I searched and searched my mind, it just wasn’t there.

So, let that be a lesson, both to you and to me:
Write down your ideas, while you know they’re in your memory.

© 2015 ~ Victoria Zigler

The above is one of the poems I wrote recently; in case my name at the bottom of it isn't enough to tell you that. I hope you enjoyed it.

This poem will probably be included in the next poetry collection I put together... Whenever that happens (which will be when I have enough poems to make putting one together worthwhile, though I'm not sure when that will be exactly).

If you'd like to read more of my poetry in the meantime, and haven't already done so, check out the poetry collections I've already published. There are six of them to date, and they are available as ebooks in multiple formats, accessable regardless of your eReader of choice, from Smashwords and a few other eBook retailers, as well as being available as paperbacks from CreateSpace and Amazon.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I just love this poem. It's not only the rhymes that slip away for me, but the ideas, the dreams. You're right -- writing a note is the only way!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks! :)

Yes, ideas in general tend to slip away if you don't write them down in time.

Rita said...

How true! How true!
Has happened to me many times with ideas of many kinds...till I started keeping a pen and tablet on my nightstand. When I was in college and writing stories I even kept a little tape recorder I could talk into. Worked like a charm. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Ria:
I usually get up and make a note of ideas, but it's a bit more difficult now I can't just grab a regular notepad and pen to do it quickly. I've been thinking lately it might be an idea to get some sort of recording device. I was reluctant to do so, because I prefer to write the ideas down than speak them, but since all other options either involve me getting up and putting the computer on, or using things that take so long to use that I lose the thread of the idea (like the notes function of the Kindle, or the little braille writing frames) or mean using the brailler... Which nobody would thank me for at 3:00am, I'm sure... Well, I think you get the point.

Intense Guy said...

Cute poem and how true!!

I can hardly wait until you get another collection together!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Iggy! :)