Monday, August 06, 2012

Book reviews... 7 of them!

A Magical HistoryA Magical History by Emma Hart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A bit of spell checking is needed, and the ending was a bit too sudden for my liking, however, despite that I have to say this was a really good book, which I enjoyed reading!

***

Bogamus the TrollBogamus the Troll by Nathan Jones
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a really amusing and entertaining story; I loved it!

***

Family and Pets - A collection of poemsFamily and Pets - A collection of poems by Stephanie Fletcher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a great collection of poems; some funny, some sweet and a bit emotional, but all of them enjoyable to read.

***

Amputeddy Helps a FriendAmputeddy Helps a Friend by Kate Policani
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A sweet little book, which can serve as a great tool to get discussions going with children - and perhaps also adults - about amputation.

***

Amy And The UnicornAmy And The Unicorn by Mark Stephens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not sure why this is being called a short story; it's more like a short novel. But that's got nothing to do with why I only give it 3 stars. The simple fact is, it would be a really good book if it was properly edited. There are so many places where words are missing from sentences so they bearly make sense (and sometimes only do because you can figure it out from what comes next) that I lost count, which is very distracting and makes it difficult to enjoy a story. Also, I think there were too many long-winded flashbacks. Flashbacks are great, but I felt the first half of the book at least had more flashbacks than story progression; you don't need more than the most important information with flashbacks, and only need to be that detailed if someone is really going back in time to live through it. Like I said though, it is a pretty good book, and could be a really good one with proper editing.

***

ZeusZeus by Frederick Ross
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


An entertaining and amusing little story.

***

The Old Woman in the Shoe MovesThe Old Woman in the Shoe Moves by T. D. Hilliard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A really cute little book!

5 comments:

laurie said...

I just love it when you do these, excellent! Have a wonderful monday!!!

Deanna said...

You definitely do a good job reviewing the books. Kudos!

Toriz said...

Laurie & Deanna:
Glad you enjoy the book reviews. :)

AliceKay said...

That's a lot of books! I have trouble just reading blogs. LOL

(don't mind me...i have new meds in my body tonight. lol)

Toriz said...

AK:
Well, it helps that Adobe has a read out loud function so I can do things while it reads to me as long as I don't go too far from the laptop (if I go too far away it's hard to hear it properly). That means I can technically read while doing housework, LOL!