Saturday, May 02, 2015

Anthology to raise money for Guide Dogs - a post by Kevin Morris

I recently learned about an anthology to raise money for Guide Dogs from one of its contributors: fellow blind author, Kevin Morris.

I originally thought I would do a post with links to where you can download the anthology and make a donation. But when I told Kevin, he kindly offered to write a post to tell you all about the anthology, as well as why the Guide Dogs For The Blind Association is so important to people like him. So, since I thought his idea was better, here's what Kevin had to say...

***

I lost the majority of my vision at about 18-months-old as a consequence of a blood clot on the brain. While at a school for the visually impaired I learned to use a long white cane which greatly enhanced my ability to live and work independently. I still own a white cane (although not the same one I had as a boy)! However today I use my trusty four-legged friend, Trigger who accompanies me everywhere while my cane moulders away, forgotten on a shelf in my hall cupboard.

Trigger and my previous 3 guide dogs have enabled me to live and work independently. A cane can help the visually impaired user avoid obstacles, prevent them from falling off the edge of the kerb and, generally make getting around much safer than would be the case in the absence of a cane. However guide dogs possess the ability to avoid obstacles so the guide dog owner may not even be aware they have walked past an obstruction due to the dog having taken evasive action.

Guide dogs have the capacity to remember routes which can be extremely helpful. On occasions I have been unsure as to my location but my trusty friend has got me to my destination safe and well.

While guide dogs don’t understand that traffic is dangerous, they are taught to sit or stand at kerbs and to stop dead if a vehicle is approaching. While guide dog owners are told not to rely on the ability of their working guide dog to prevent road traffic accidents Trigger has, on several occasions prevented me from walking out in front of oncoming traffic, something which a cane can not do.

Guide dogs are not merely mobility aids. I, along with all other guide dog owners love our four legged friends. Trigger and I are together more or less constantly which builds a tremendous bond between us.

As you can see from the above, guide dogs provide invaluable assistance to their owners. The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association (GDBA) is a registered charity receiving no government funding. Given the huge benefits I and other guide dog users have gained from the Association I wanted to give something back by raising money for GDBA, hence the anthology in aid of Guide Dogs was born. The book is free to download. However I and my fellow authors hope that anyone who downloads the anthology will make a contribution to GDBA. To download the anthology and make a donation to GDBA please visit the following link, http://newauthoronline.com/anthology-to-raise-money-for-guide-dogs/.

Finally I would like to thank Tori for giving me the chance to talk about the work of Guide Dogs.

Kevin

7 comments:

letscutthecrap said...

A fabulous guest post, Kevin.

Chris Graham said...

Great post Kevin and Tori :)

Victoria Zigler said...

I'm glad you both enjoyed the post. :)

Sally Cronin said...

Great job Victoria and Kevin.. have shared in the usual haunts.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks for sharing, Sally! :)

Intense Guy said...

Would a guide dog be helpful for you Tori?

My parents worked with the American Seeing Eye Dogs for years - they raised the puppies and housebroke them while my brothers and I did the basic training (nothing fancy, just heel, come, stay and so forth) for about 80 dogs. The family kept many of the "rejects" (about 8 of them) I unfortunately no longer remember all of the dogs names - just the rejects - who were for the most part, nice animals (2 of them were not).

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
That's really cool that you got to be involved with the basic training phase for the guide dogs.

Everyone says a guide dog would be helpful for me, and one quite likely would. But there are a couple of reasons why I'm reluctant to have one.