Saturday, May 23, 2015

Why I'm happy and sad at the same time

Yesterday was our 12th wedding anniversary.

I'm not sure how Kelly's managed to put up with me for so many years, but I'm glad he has.

We were going to celebrate by going to see the new Avengers movie before it stops showing in our nearest movie theatre, since we both want to see it; we enjoyed the first Avengers movie, so figure we've got a good chance of enjoying the second. But I'm waiting for a delivery that might have come yesterday, and couldn't take the chance of missing it. So, we just had a quiet day at home with some take-away, and will get the movie on DVD when it comes out.

Besides, I'm kind of torn between being happy that we've just celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary, and being sad because we always celebrated our anniversary and Kero's birthday as one big celebration... Until this year, of course.

You see, today would have been Kero's 11th birthday.

Kelly brought Kero for me for our first anniversary. Well, I had him late, but that was because we had to find the perfect puppy for me, and wait for him to be ready. But he was still an anniversary gift from Kelly... My gorgeous Westie boy! Though I mostly just called him "Kero" is name was actually Keroberous, which means loyal protector... And there never was a more loyal dog than my Kero.

Chance was an anniversary gift too; I got him two years later. I was supposed to have had Dakoda (Chocolate Point Siamese cat) but ended up with Chance (Oriental cat) instead. Actually, that's how come Chance got his name... Because we got him by Chance. That wasn't his official title on his GCCF papers, but it was what we called him most. Though I did use his "real" name of Silva Flame sometimes; especially for vet trips, and when he was naughty.

My boys were the best gifts anyone could have ever had, and I miss them more than words could ever express.

So, while I'm happy to be able to celebrate 12 years with my wonderful hubby - who's been through a lot with me, and put up with a lot from me - I'm also sad that my boys are no longer here to help us celebrate.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the other furry, feathered, and scaled family members we've lost too. But my boys were special to me, and I always had a closer bond with them than with any of our other babies... Especially with Kero, who would howl as if the world was ending whenever I left him to go anywhere he couldn't come.

Rest in peace my beloved boys, and know you're never far from my thoughts, and always in my heart.

Also, happy anniversary to Kelly... Thank you for giving me the gift of our boys, and for putting up with me for 12 years.

10 comments:

AliceKay said...

Sending special hugs your way.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, AK!

Rita said...

Sometimes things are both. But happy anniversary to you both! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Rita!

Intense Guy said...

Happy Anniversary!

I think Kero and Chance are sitting next to each other telling each other that they had the best humans ever!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Iggy!

Fairytale said...

So sorry Tori that i did not post for my little furry Great Grandson, but a belated happy birthday Kero, you were one special little Pup , tons of love from Great Grandma , R I P , xxxxx

Victoria Zigler said...

Grandma:
Thanks. And, it's OK about you not posting about Kero. xx

Jeanie said...

Happy Anniversary. What a lovely but poignant day. I know what you mean -- you love them all, but some just touch you in a way that pulls at your heart. One year isn't long to grieve such a companion. Sending hugs and thoughts of lovely rose petals to celebrate your special days and the sweet love you have been privileged to have.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie!