Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday's writing related ramblings - May 20th 2015

Great news for those of you who prefer paperback books: I'm in the process of arranging for my books to be available in paperback!

It might take a while - since I have quite a long backlist to get sorted - but it's happening, thanks to a very good friend's help.

I'll give you more details on this soon though, since all I can really tell you right now is that it's happening as quickly as possible.

***

In case you missed my post about it on Thursday, I did a guest post, titled "From Idea To EBook, which was published on New Author Online last Wednesday (May 13th 2015).

I also did another guest post on the same blog, which I posted about on Sunday... The same day it went up. This one is all about writing tools I've used; from when I was a child and could still see to read the scribbled stories I wrote in pencil, to more recent writing tools.

***

In the past couple of weeks, I've not only been writing guest posts, and starting to sort things for arranging paperback versions of my books, but I've also finished the editing of "Zeena And The Dryad" and pre-released the eBook version of it via Smashwords.

That's right... The first "Zeena Dragon Fae" book is coming soon!

The official release date is June 6th 2015.

I've not made much progress with writing the second book in the series yet, because I honestly haven't had time to sit down and write it. I mean, between finishing up sorting "Zeena And The Dryad" and getting that pre-released, and starting to arrange things to get my backlist of books in print... Well, you get the idea, I'm sure.

OK... I admit it... I could have spent a bit less time reading so as to get more writing time in. But, honestly, I have read less than normal in the past couple of weeks. Besides, after spending several hours on the computer doing editing and formatting, I really need a break from sitting here. There's only so many hours a day you can sit at a computer before you've had enough. Know what I mean?

So... How about you? If you're a writer too, are you getting your writing time in? Or, are you struggling to write most days? If so, here's an article that will help you to improve your ability to concentrate; assuming that's your problem, since - for all I know - your problem might just be the one I've had in the past couple of weeks... Not enough hours in the day.

You know... When you do manage to get that writing done, it's not unusual to find yourself shouting "Help! My characters are all too similar!" If this is you, read the tips in that article.

Speaking of characters... As a reader, have you ever wondered why bad thhings happen to good characters sometimes? Or, if you're a writer, have you ever wondered if you're doing the right thing in allowing bad things to happen to your characters? Well, here's an article on Using book characters as fall guys - An author's perspective by Susan Day which might shed a little light on why it happens, and - perhaps - help you to decide if you did the right thing in allowing it to happen in your own book.

When I share these writing links, I hope you find them interesting, and that the ones full of tips help those of you who are writers; even if you only write on your blog. I mean, the learning process with any craft never really ends, does it? With that in mind, here's an article on 9 things I've learned about being an author. Well, not me personally - though I have learned many of them - but that's what the article is called, and I think it's worth a read.

I also think this article called "writing advice that no one wants to hear" is a great one, and happen to agree with the advice she gives in it.

No matter what though, always remember... Dream big!

What's the best way to support your favourite author? Do you know? If not, read the article, and it will tell you. Plus, here are 20 easy ways a reader can help promote a book.

Finally, here are 10 tips on how to survive in a relationship with a writer - just in case you happen to be in a relationship with one, and need some survival tips! The tips can apply to friends of writers too... Oh, and - just so you know - my favourite chocolate is white chocolate, though other types are acceptable too. *wink*

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

You've been really busy! I'm loving the concept of "how to survive a relationship with a writer." I think you could swap that out with artist, too!

Intense Guy said...

You have been really busy!

I pre-ordered Zeena! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yes, you could just substitute the word "writer" for the word "artist" in that article.

Iggy:
Awesome! Thanks! :)