Friday, November 11, 2016

#Furkid Friday: "I'm Watching You!" (FD)

Hi humans, rodent types, and anyone else reading this. This is Joshua the degu.

I don't know what happened. Just a few months ago I still had all three of my brothers, and now it's just me in the cage. All three of my brothers have gone away. First Jasper, then Jenks, and now Jacob. I don't know where they went, and I don't understand why they went without me. We always went everywhere together.

Don't get me wrong, having all this space to myself, not having to fight over the best nibbles, getting to use the wheel whenever I want and for however long I want, as well as having plenty of room to stretch out and roll around in the sand bath, is great. But I really miss my brothers... Not just because the weather has turned cold and I haven't got anyone to cuddle up with either. Although, now that I think about it, cuddling up with my brothers on a cold night - or day, for that matter - was always really nice, and I do miss being able to do that.

I blame the human caretakers for my brothers being gone. I'm sure they had something to do with it. It must have been them. I mean, even though we did have fights sometimes, my brothers and I love each other very much, so I know they'd never leave me if they had a choice. Plus, the last time I saw each of my brothers, they were being removed from the cage by one of the human caretakers. That means it must have been them, right? I can't think of any other explanation, so I'm watching the human caretakers very closely, just in case they have plans to do something terrible.

For the first couple of days after Jacob disappeared, I was suspicious of everything, including food, and checked each piece out very carefully before I ate it. Not to mention, I absolutely refused to accept food directly from the paws of either of the human caretakers. I'm still suspicious, but I did take the risk and quickly grab a nibble from the Mummy human's paw a couple of times. I ran off right after grabbing it though, just in case she had any funny ideas about trying to snatch me up while I was occupied with the nibble. So far she hasn't tried anything funny, but I'm watching her carefully, just in case she's just trying to lull me in to a false sense of security or something, and prefer to help myself to nibbles from the bowl after the Mummy human has removed her paw from my cage.

I'm watching the Daddy human even more closely, and won't even go in reach of his paw, let alone accept anything he's offering me. He was the one who picked up each of my brothers and removed them from the cage, so I'm pretty sure he's the one I've got to be most careful about watching. Like I said though, I'm keeping an eye on the Mummy human too, just to be on the safe side, but it's the Daddy human I'm most suspicious of.

My gerbil brother, Baggins, who lives in the cage right beside mine, and has been all by himself ever since his brother, Bilbo, disappeared back in April, says they never tried anything funny with him after his brother disappeared. But Baggins has always been easily won over by nibbles, so it's possible they just bribed him in to trusting them with all the Cheerios and Frosted Shreddies they gave him. So his word isn't enough to convince me not to be suspicious of the human caretakers.

You hear that, human caretakers? I'm watching you!

Squeak soon,
Joshua

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

It has to be so tough for him right now. If he'd listen to me I'd tell him that his humans were A-OK. And hurting as much as he is.

Intense Guy said...

Joshua - you've no reason at all to think your humans are anything less than the best caregivers for you in the entire world. I bet even now, they are thinking about ways to make sure you are warm and maybe even thinking about ways to get you company.

I bet they have been thinking the same things for Baggins.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
We don't blame him for being so suspicious of us, but we do wish there was some way we could explain the truth so he'd regain his trust in us quicker. If having someone else explain on our behalf would work, we'd be all for it. Poor little guy must be so confused.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Baggins doesn't seem concerned, but I'm finding it hard to believe. I want to trust them, but they took my brothers away...

Squeak soon,
Joshua

Rita said...

It's all very confusing and you feel alone and unprotected without your brothers. Maybe the others went some place wonderful and are waiting for you to come join them later on. Maybe it's nothing scary at all. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Maybe... I sure hope you're right about them being someplace wonderful. Although, if it's so great, why didn't they invite me to go too, and why do the humans say they hope I don't go there too soon?

Squeak soon,
Joshua

Danielle L Zecher said...

Poor guy! Is there anything like Feliway for degues? We used Feliway (it's a calming scent for cats) after Milo died to help the other cats cope, and it worked really well for them. If there's something like that degues it might help him.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
I'm not sure if you can get anything like that for degus. That's not what he needs though. He's not stressed as such. Joshua has always been the most cautious and suspicious of our motives. He was never first in line for nibbles and cuddles, prefering to let his brothers show him it was safe first, and even then sometimes approaching with a little reluctance. Now that he doesn't have his brothers to show him it's safe first, he's even more cautious and suspicious than he was before. We've had to go back to the basic rules of getting a pet used to you in order to start building up his trust in us again. It's still early days, but we're already seeing a little progress, which is a relief.