Monday, November 28, 2016

#TV Talk And #Movie Mutterings - November 2016

It's time for this month's new to me movies.

If you're wondering... We got through three of the four planned movies on Halloween, so watched the fourth the following day.

Anyway...

As with the previous posts like this one, just click on the movie titles to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie in question; the movie title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

OK...

Goosebumps (2015 movie):
I've seen some of the old Goosebumps TV episodes, and read many of the Goosebumps books - both recently and in my teens - so was eager to see the new movie. I was not disappointed. I mean, it wasn't absolutely amazing, but it was a really good movie, and I'm glad I watched it. If you're wondering: prior knowledge of the Goosebumps characters isn't essential, but it helps, and I actually think knowing something about some of the characters from R. L. Stine's books improves the enjoyment factor of this movie; you won't be quite so scared if you don't know anything about any of the monsters from the books, in my opinion... I know I was more concerned about those monsters I knew something about than those I hadn't read the books for. So, as an addition to a Goosebumps collection, it's fantastic. As a stand-alone movie, it's only pretty good. For that reason, I'm giving this movie four out of five stars.

The Last Witch Hunter (2015 movie):
I didn't expect to enjoy this one. Honestly, I was only watching it because it was Kelly's pick for one of the movies to watch for Halloween, and he got it especially for us to watch together. As it turned out though, this movie was better than I expected it to be. Kelly really enjoyed it too. It had a great plot, and enough action to keep Kelly happy, while not having so much happening that I couldn't follow what was going on. This is another movie I give four out of five stars.

Get Santa (2014 movie):
This was meant to be a comedy, but I didn't find it all that funny. Plus, they were meant to be trying to save Christmas - and kept mentioning the fact repeatedly - but I didn't feel the sense of urgency. It felt like they were saying, "Hey, we should probably save Christmas, but we have plenty of time, so no worries." I mean, they weren't saying anything of the sort... Like I said, they were constantly mentioning how important it was that they had to save Christmas... But the plot seemed to move so slowly it lost the sense of urgency movies like this usually have. I give this movie three out of five stars.

Crampus (2015 movie):
I love things with a fantasy element. I enjoy holiday movies where someone is having a bad Christmas, but then something happens to make them realize how wonderful their life actually is. I enjoy the odd comedy; holiday themed or otherwise. I enjoy some horror movies too. Unfortunately, this movie tried to be all four things at once, and failed spectacularly. Luckily, I'd heard of several other people who were disappointed with this one, so went in to it with low expecations. Even so, it didn't meet them. The movie sucked, plain and simple! I give this movie one out of five stars.

That's it, since most of my TV time this month has been spent watching old episodes of NCIS, which you already know I enjoy.

8 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I've been so busy I've never heard of any of these movies!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
It happens. There are a lot of movies that exist that I know nothing about. There's too much going on to keep track of everything.

Jeanie said...

I'm not really big on fantasy or sci-fi or anything too scary. So, I'm not sure these sound like my cuppa tea. On the other hand, there are a ton of movies out there!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'd say you're right. I mean, you'd obviously know your own preferences best, but I'd have guessed as much, and wouldn't include any of them... Not even the ones I enjoyed... In a list of recommendations spacifically for you. Like you said, there are plenty of other movies out there, and many of them are much more likely to be your cup of tea than the ones in this post.

Rita said...

Haven't seen any of these. But then I'm not much into Halloween movies or horror, etc. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah... They're probably not your cup of tea either.

Serena Lewis said...

My kids were addicted the Goosebumps TV series when they were younger. I must look out for the movie version. I've added The Last Witch Hunter to my list as it sounds like one I might like. Did you ever watch Season of the Witch starring Nicolas Cage? I think I liked it but it was back in 2011 and I can't remember much of it now...might just have to watch it again to refresh my memory.

I checked out the trailers for Krampus and Get Santa and they look good so I guess it might be a case where they screened the good parts in the trailers and the rest of the movie is crap. haha I have seen that happen with a lot of movies...the trailers aren't necessarily a good indication. Like you, I do love a good horror movie.

Have a great week. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Serena:
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

I hope you enjoy the movies you plan on watching. I'm pretty sure you're right about the trailers for the other two... The parts shown in those were the best parts of the movies from what I can tell. It certainly seems that way to me, anyway. No, I haven't seen Season Of The Witch.