Friday, November 25, 2016

#Furkid Friday: #Storms

Um... Hi everyone! This is Skye the rat.

There was a nasty storm this past weekend. The icy wind was howling like a pack of hungry wolves, the rain was falling in sheets that were more like waterfalls, there was thunder and lightning, and the ocean was so rough you could hear the waves crashing against the shore even over the sound of the storm itself. Even the sea birds decided it was too rough to be out.

We hated it!

Well, the Mummy human didn't, because she's weird and likes things like storms. She says it's sad that they cause damage and people sometimes get hurt, but she can't help enjoying listening to them. Like I said, she's weird.

But we're much smarter, so we're really scared of storms. Our brothers are especially scared of storms. Our degu brother, Joshua, huddled in his hay in a frightened ball, and our gerbil brother, Baggins, was so scared he was literally trembling from nose to tail. Even we rats huddled in our nest until the storm was over, while our chinchilla sisters decided being nocturnal was no excuse to be out of bed on such a night.

Actually, there have been a few really bad storms lately, but the one on the weekend was the worst. Or, we thought it was... It was the scariest to us, anyway.

The human caretakers say the storms can't get us in here. They say the building will keep it from coming in and hurting us. But we're not taking any chances. Especially when one of the humans who claims that's the case is also weird enough to think listening to storms is fun.

If you've got bad storms too, I hope you're managing to stay safe.

Squeak soon,
Skye

6 comments:

Rita said...

Yes, us humans can be weird that way. I love storms, too. Well, experiencing them from the safety of the indoors is best. When I was a kid my folks had a heck of a time getting me inside during a thunderstorm. I loved to be at least out in the garage with the door wide open if not twirling in the rain. Yup--too dumb to come out of the rain, as they say. These days I stay inside where it's dry and warm. I'll be wiating for blizzards. ;)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
No wonder you and the Mummy human are friends...

I'll never understand humans!

Squeak soon,
Skye

Intense Guy said...

I too, enjoy sitting on a porch when a thunderstorm rolls through. I'm don't care for bone chilling wind though!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Like I said, I'll never understand humans...

Squeak soon,
Skye

Danielle L Zecher said...

I hope you're having some nicer weather. I'm not a big fan of storms of rain, but after all the fires/smoke we've had due to lack of rain, I've decided I like rain a lot more than I thought I did.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Yes, the weather has been calmer this week. So far, anyway. Really cold, but we don't mind that. Besides, the human caretakers do something that makes it warm inside when the weather gets really cold. They call it "putting the heat on" or something like that.

If it was just a little rain, we wouldn't mind so much. But when the rain is so heavy it sounds like a waterfall, and when the wind is strong, and the two things combine to make the sea really rough, that's when we get really scared.

Squeak soon,
Skye