Friday, May 13, 2016

#Furkid Friday: A #Degu's Eye View Of #Birds

Hi humans, rodents, and anyone else reading this.

This is Joshua the degu.

Did you know that birds are a degu's biggest predator in the wild?

It's true! Wild degus have more to fear from birds than any other animals!

Now that you know that, I'm sure you can understand why we degus were especially terrified the first time we saw a seagull perch just outside of the window of the very room our cage is in, which happened for the first time shortly after we moved to this place with our humans a little over a year ago.

Well, my other rodent siblings find the birds a bit scary too, to be honest. Although, my ratty sisters quickly decided they weren't scary, and are no longer bothered in the slightest by the sight of the large birds perched outside. In fact, Star even likes to watch them sometimes, and shows no sign of fear while doing so (I've actually known her to grab a nibble, and sit there snacking while watching the birds, just like she would if it was a nature show on TV).

Birds on TV have never bothered us. In fact, Animal Planet is one of our favourite channels, and we'll happily sit and watch shows about birds, cats... Whatever. But the sight of the birds sat outside the window bothered us a lot.

I mean, we'd heard the cries of sea birds for as long as we could remember, but we hadn't realized until then that the strange screaching cries we kept hearing came from gigantic birds. We weren't too happy when we figured this out, let me tell you!

My degu brothers and I squeaked in terror every time it happened for the first couple of months, sure the bird would swoop in and find some way to gobble us up... Even with us being locked up tightly in our cage.

We are now at a point where we aren't so frightened. Though we do still watch those birds carefully... Just in case.

Squeak soon,
Joshua

4 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hey there J!

Yeah, I'd keep an eye on them Seagulls... you know something? A Duck is actually a "meaner" bird - I've seen them try to drown each other!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I've never seen a duck, except on TV. I hear there are ducks in some ponds nearby though... The human caretakers say so. I'll be on the look out for them... Thanks for the warning!

Squeak soon,
Joshua

Rita said...

I don't blame you for being cautious. Just remember that the birds can't get through the bars even if they did come right in the window--they still can't get you. You are safe. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
That's what the human caretakers say. But we aren't convinced.

Squeak soon,
Joshua