Monday, May 30, 2016

#TV Talk And #Movie Mutterings - May 2016

My Mam got us a new DVD player for our wedding anniversary. To be honest, it was about time we had a new one, since the one we had was the one I'd had since before we were married, and it was getting rather tempremental. I was still using it though, because when I did get a new one about seven or so years ago, it wasn't as multi-region as it was meant to be, and I actually ended up giving it to my Dad to use as the CD part of his hi-fi system when his CD player broke. The thing is, since a large chunk of our DVD collection is region 1, which isn't the standard region for the UK, we needed a multi-region DVD player. Anyway, this new one appears to be happy to play most formats of disk (it's played everything we've tried on it, anyway). I don't know if it does blue-ray, since I don't have any blue-ray disks to try. But I don't mind about that. As long as it plays things we already own, and isn't as tempremental as the old one had become, I'm happy. Anyway, we got it early... We've had it since the start of the month... But it was still an anniversary present. So, thanks, Mam!

Like when we got the new TV at the start of this year, the first thing I noticed about it was the huge size difference between the old and new ones. The new DVD player is maybe... At most... About a quarter of the size of the old one, and it's remote control is half the size of the one I'd always thought was small that the old DVD player had. I sat there for like ten minutes... Perhaps longer... When I got it out of the box just commenting on how cute and tiny it was. In fact, it actually took less time to plug in and set up the DVD player than it did for me to stop saying, "Awwww! It's so cute and tiny!"

OK... On that note... I think it's time for this month's post of new to me movies and TV shows.

Well, actually, just movies, since the only TV shows I watched were wildlife documentaries I've seen before (I was watching them again because they're fascinating) and TV shows I've mentioned liking already, so the only new thing about them was the newer episodes I saw of some of them.

But, anyway...

As with the similar posts from the recent past, I've not written very detailed reviews, but instead just given my opinion of the movie in question, so I've included links to where you can find out more about the movie, if you want to... Just click on the title of it, and you'll go right there.

So...

Mars Needs Moms (movie):
This was a great movie; interesting and entertaining from start to finnish, with a really sweet ending.

Barnyard (movie):
I wasn't sure how I felt about this one for the first half of the movie; it was funny in places, but that was about all it had going for it. It picked up in the second half though, and became a pretty decent movie. Not one of the better ones I've seen recently, but reasonably entertaining, and with a great lesson to teach about the importance of taking your responsibilities seriously.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (movie):
I'd been dying to see this one, so the moment it was out on DVD, I grabbed a copy. It was one of the disks I tried the new DVD player out on. So, what did I think? To be honest, I'm not sure. On the one hand it was Star Wars, so... YAY! On the other hand, it was about 20 minutes in to the movie - or, at least close to that - before we had a name for any character other than the droid, and could be sure of what was going on. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad movie, and I liked it. In fact, the second half of the movie was actually really great. But the confusion in the first part spoiled the first half of the movie for me, and this movie certainly won't be getting the top spot of my favourite of the Star Wars movies... Despite Harrison Ford being in it.

Home (movie):
I really enjoyed this one. It was entertaining and amusing, with a great ending.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Yes, DVD players have gotten smaller and TVs have gotten bigger. I have no idea what you were talking about with DVD players and regions. We just have the one kind here.

I saw the new StarWars movie and I liked it, but I still didn't think it was as good as the original movie. (I kept hearing that.) Was good, though. And nice to see all the old characters. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
The DVDs you have are region 1. In fact, the DVDs from most countries are region 1. For some reason, however, the UK has to be different. So, we have region 2 DVDs. Why? I have no idea. But, we do. Rather than doing the sensible thing and making region 1 disks in this country too, multi region players were created, which have the ability to play region 1 and region 2 DVDs. Since we have both, we need a DVD player that can play both. Hope that didn't just confuse you more.

Anyway... Yes, was nice getting to see some of those characters again, even if the movie itself wasn't quite as good.

Jeanie said...

I still have one of those TVs that's so big and heavy and deep I can't lift it. Worse, even Habitat for Humanity won't take a non-digital set and it still works so I watch square TV on my fat set! Someday...

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
It's one of those kinds of TVs we replaced earlier this year, because the sound wasn't too great on it any more. Took both of us to lift it off the TV stand, and the new one seems lost in the space where that one was, despite actually being the same screen size.

Intense Guy said...

I hope the new DVD works well and lasts a long long time!!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
So do I!