Monday, January 30, 2017

January 2017 #TV Talk And #Movie Mutterings

It's time for this month's new to me movies post, which will contain movies from December too, since not only did I not watch many new to me movies during December... Or January, for that matter... But I had a lot of other stuff I wanted to post about, so I decided to just keep the couple of movies I watched last month to go in a post with this month's new to me movies. I had planned on there being more movies being reviewed, since I'd planned to watch all my new birthday and Christmas DVDs during January, but life happened, and I didn't end up doing what I'd planned to do.

Anyway...

As with the previous posts like this one, just click on the movie titles to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie in question; the movie title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

OK...

Jingle All The Way 2 (2014 movie/video):
Though it wasn't absolutely amazing, this was a pretty good movie, with several funny scenes; a great one for lovers of holiday themed comedies, in my opinion. I give this movie four out of five stars.

Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever (2014 TV movie):
I thought this would be an entertaining movie. I mean, come on, it's a holiday movie where the star is an animal. But, to be perfectly honest, I thought it was rubbish. OK, there were a couple of entertaining scenes, but that's about all it had going for it. I only watched the whole thing so I could honestly say I'd done so, even though I was tempted to stop watching before I was even a quarter of the way in to the movie. I nearly gave it only one star, but - for the sake of the few scenes that actually were entertaining - I give this movie two out of five stars.

In The Heart Of The Sea (2015 movie):
I've read "Moby Dick" so was interested to see this one. It turned out to be a pretty good movie. Not absolutely amazing, but worth watching, in my opinion. As a warning though, it's not one for the squeemish, or for those with weak stomaches. Consider yourself warned. Anyway, I give this movie four out of five stars.

Stardust (2007 movie):
Now this movie, which I didn't realize at first was based on a book, I haven't read the book for. Although, after watching the movie, I now want to read it. I stumbled upon this movie by accident, having turned the TV on just right to catch a scene or two, which I liked the look of, and made me want to see when it would be on again, so I could watch it from the start. I've actually been meaning to watch this one since Halloween, but took a while to get around to it. I'm glad I did so eventually though, because I thought it was a fantastic movie. It would have made a great one to watch around Halloween, but I enjoyed it well enough when I saw it between Christmas and the new year. There are several scenes that aren't for the squeemish though, just to warn you. I give this movie five out of five stars.

The Last Dragonslayer (2016 TV movie):
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand it was a pretty good movie, with several entertaining scenes, and an interesting plot. On the other hand, they seemed to focus more on the comedy aspect, and less on the fantasy adventure, and I felt like they were so busy trying to be funny that they forgot everything else. I haven't read the book, so I can't say if the book was the same. However, I can tell you that I give this movie three out of five stars.

Ant-Man (2015 movie):
This was a really good movie. It was action-packed, and had several entertaining scenes. It's not one of those amazing movies I'm going to be desperate to watch over and over again, so it won't be making its way in to my list of favourites. But it was really good. I give this movie four out of five stars.

6 comments:

Rita said...

The only one I have seen was Stardust and I liked that one, too. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I'm glad you liked Stardust too. :)

Jeanie said...

I always like seeing movie lists and what people like (or don't) so if I see it happening, I can check it out. Thanks!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
You're welcome. :)

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's disappointing about the Grumpy Cat movie. The only one I've seen from your list is The Heart of the Sea. I liked it well enough, but like you said, there are definitely some gross parts.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Sounds like your opinion and mine match when it comes to "The Heart Of The Sea".