Sunday, January 22, 2017

January 2017 #Vegetarian Friendly #Food Themed Thoughts (FD)

When I made the pumpkin pasties I mentioned in last November's post, I made more filling than I needed. Of course, then I had to decide what to do with it. Unsure at the time, I simply baked it in a pie dish, and then stuck it in the freezer. To cut a long story short, I ended up using it to make what I'm calling pumpkin filled yorkies, which are yorkshire puddings stuffed with baked pumpkin and cheese. They looked sort of like mini quiches, except with batter instead of pastry. I had them with roast potatoes and mixed cabbage as an unofficial Thanksgiving dinner (unofficial, because we don't actually celebrate it over here, but I had it on the day that was Thanksgiving in America). They were very tasty, if I do say so myself.

I also tried a slightly adapted version of the butternut squash risotto recipe that Deanna posted ages ago. She'd posted an instant pot version of the recipe more recently, and it sounded tasty, but I don't have an instant pot, so I checked out the stovetop version. I left out the wine, because we never have alcahol in the house. Also, the stovetop version doesn't mention garlic, but the instant pot version does, so I added some. Plus, I only used cheddar cheese, and stuck the whole thing in the oven for the cheese to brown a bit before serving. If you haven't tried it, you should do so, whether you use one of Deanna's exact recipes, or my tweaked non-alcaholic version, because it's very tasty. I bet it would work well with other members of the squash family too, including pumpkin.

As I mentioned last week, one of my goals for 2017 is to get out more, and as part of that I'm making a point of going out for breakfast or lunch at least once a week. There are several cafes and things within easy walking distance of where we live. I mean, we live right above one of them. All of them do something that's suitable for vegetarians, though some have more choice than others. Some even have some vegan options available. Anyway, since I'm doing that, I'm also making a point of trying different things they have on their menus - especially when it comes to those places that try very hard to cater for vegetarians (and sometimes also vegans) - instead of having the same thing all the time. The place we live above is especially good for this, since they have a large choice for vegetarians and vegans (as well as several options for people like my hubby, who actually eat meat) and are good about telling you what's in something so you can be certain of what you're eating. Not to mention, their drink selection is excellent too, so I can even mix things up a bit when it comes to that. I won't bother mentioning everything I try, but if I come across something worth mentioning... Like the fresh mint tea from the place downstairs, which is fantastic... Or it's a new place I try, I'll give it a mention.

***

Don't forget, you can find more recipes - vegetarian and otherwise - on my website's recipe section. There are even a few vegan ones on there too. If you're wondering, the reason there are some that aren't vegetarian friendly on there when I'm a vegetarian, is because my hubby isn't one, and says he never will be. It would be great if we were both vegetarians, but I'm not going to force him to become one... It's something that should be the choice of the individual.

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Your butternut squash dish makes me hungry! And I'm not all that keen on squash!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Hey, that's great! If you decide to try it, I hope you end up enjoying it.