Monday, February 02, 2015

Monday's random mutterings - February 2nd 2015

It's Monday again, which means that another week has gone by without my promised snow. We've had some amazing storms, which are nice to listen to. But I really would love some snow. There's still time, I guess; it's only just February. But I'm not holding my breath. I mean, I do live near the Southern coast, after all.

Anyway, today's the day the groundhog will tell us if we get six more weeks of Winter weather or not. I wonder what he'll say this year?

***

My tooth still hurts, and I don't see that changing all that quickly, since it was only this past week (Wednesday, to be exact) that I got a letter confirming I was on a waiting list to get it sorted.

Seriously? It took them this long to send that out? They were taking so long I thought they were going to skip that part. Apparently not!

If just that letter took this long, how long will I have to wait to be seen?

This is seriously beyond stupid! It should not take this long to sort out a problem with a tooth. And this is when I'm supposed to have been listed as a priority... I'd hate to think how long it would be taking if I wasn't!

Anyway, some days I can keep the pain under control, but other days even the maximum amount of pain relief I can risk taking isn't enough. But I guess I'll just have to put up with it a while longer. *Sigh*

***

Did you see my post about Leyla Atke yesterday?

I read her book "Charm: An Amazing Story Of A Little Black Cat" on Thursday, and thought it was a beautiful and touching story. I don't believe in God, personally - as those who know me will know - but I do believe in reincarnation, and it was the mention of that, combined with it being about a cat, that made me want to read the book.

The book made me think of the furbabies I've lost; especially Chance and Kero, and I think it was responsible for the theme of Jacob's furkid Friday post.

I can't believe how much I miss my boys!

***

OK, before I end this post, here are some links for homeschooling parents, or curious people in general; just because they looked interesting to me.

If you're wondering, I was looking at them because I felt like reading some Native American and Celtic history, and some of these were among the links that came up when I searched. The others I found with other searches that reading the original sites inspired me to make.

You see, I like doing searches for whatever topic inspires me at the time. Partly because you can learn some interesting things that way, and partly because I love how it helps to confuse the internet gods when they're trying to figure out what adverts to throw at me. They'll never have me figured out if I search for the answers to all those random questions that pop in to my head! *grins evily*

Anyway... The links... Right... Here they are:

Earth Science Enterprise: http://kids.earth.nasa.gov/
National Geographic kids: http://www.ngkids.co.uk/
Native American facts for kids: http://www.native-languages.org/kids.htm
Primary homework help: http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/
The Iron Age Celts for kids: http://celts.mrdonn.org/index.html

***

Oh, and speaking of random questions I do searches for "because I can" sometimes...

Because of discussions about how the internet gods are trying to tell us what we like, I started thinking about technology taking over the world, and did a search where I asked the question "what would happen if computers took over the world?" (yes, I typed those exact words in to a search engine). Mostly this just resulted in sites full of discussions about whether technology will take over the world; people mostly think it won't happen any time soon, if that's any comfort to you.

But it also came up with this entertaining - and not exactly child friendly, just so you know - article about five animals that could take over the world if they wanted to, which led me to this article about five amazing true stories about the invention of the alphabet from the same site.

They aren't the politest of articles, though compared to most of what's out there these days they're perfectly polite, and the second has nothing to do with what I asked; it was just an article from the same site, which caught my attention when I went to read the animal one. But I decided to share them anyway. If nothing else you can laugh at the insanity of the guy who wrote them, and use going to look at them as a way to confuse the internet gods.

***

That's all I have to say for now.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

Hi Tori!

Welcome back -- or at least, welcome back to the Gypsy. I was so happy to see your comments!

On cats and reincarnation -- My sweet Gypsy died in spring 2012, and I've missed my orange boy ever since. A week ago, I took some food to an acquaintance whose husband had died. She introduced me to her new rescued-from-the-woods cat -- a dead ringer. She said he was a little skittish, but just took to me like a can of his favorite food. His age was about two-and-a-half or three, the vet said. Yes, I believe in reincarnation, too.

Intense Guy said...

The ground hog saw his shadow and predicts 6 more weeks of winter.

The Internet has brought the ability for everyone to speak their minds... even those that don't have any... with is unfortunate.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks for visiting, and for your kind words about my returning to your blog!

I remember reading about Gypsy's passing. I'm glad his wandering spirit found it's way to someone who would love him, and that you could be re-introduced.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Great... Still a chance of snow for me then! :)

Rita said...

We've been getting a dusting of snow today. I am very happy. We need more. People's pipes and sewers are freezing because we are used to the insulation of ground cover over the winter up here.

I'm wondering if you will end up getting another dog?

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Not good about the pipes. See, snow is a good thing!

Regarding the dog... Not any time soon, anyway.

AliceKay said...

Punxsutawney Phil's proclamation was this...

"Forecasts abound on the internet, But I, Punxsutawney Phil, am still your best bet. Yes, a shadow I see, you can start to twitter, Hash tag: Six More Weeks of Winter!"

I'm able to watch the live coverage of the big party out in Punxsutawney every year. They have a big fireworks show around 6:30 AM and drag Phil out of his hutch around 7:20 or so. He didn't like coming out into the cold this year. Can't say as I blamed him. LOL

Victoria Zigler said...

AK:
Thanks for the details! Also, thanks Phil for the continued chance of snow! :)

I wouldn't want to be dragged out of a warm burrow in to the cold at about 7:20 am either!