Monday, October 12, 2015

A-Z with me, part 2: H-N (LBE)

If you missed part 1, go here.

***

H is for history.

I find certain parts of history fascinating, especially Egyptian and Stone Age history. I also really like the dinosaurs, my favourite being the Triceratops, and find a few other parts of history interesting too; the Tudor period, WWII, Victorian times, and the battle of Hastings, for example.

Mostly I learn about historical facts by looking things up when the inspiration to do so hits me. Though I do remember some of what I learned at school too.

You can actually find references to - and often also articles about - some of the things I've looked up among my old posts; not just the historical stuff, but things on other topics too. If you're interested, just look through my archives. It will take you a while to just generally read through, so you may want to do this by clicking on the appropriate label, which will greatly decrease the number of posts for you to read through. Or, you could use the search box, which is also on my sidebar, to do something similar. Although, if you feel like reading through all my old posts, then feel free to do so. I've done more than 2500 posts though (I'd have to go and check my dashboard for the exact number, which I can't be bothered to do). So, if you only have an interest in certain topics, I strongly advise using the labels or search box.

***

I is for iPhone.

I recently caught up with most of the rest of the world, and got an iPhone.

Well, OK, "most of the rest of the world" is a bit of an exageration, but I think you get the point.

Anyway, I dug my heels in when it came to getting one, but my brother, Carl, finally persuaded me. I was reluctant because of the fact touch-screen technology isn't all that easy when you can't see. But Carl insisted it was easier to use than the Kindle, and was willing to let me buy his iPhone off him for a reasonable price (since he just got an upgrade) as well as teach me the basics of how to use it, so I gave in. He brought it with him when he came to visit at the end of September, and got me all set up. So, now I just have to get the hang of using it.

I got in some practice with touch-screen technology when my keyboard broke a couple of weeks before, so that helped. Still, using the iPhone is a slow process, and requires me to be very patient. I think I'm getting the hang of it though. I also think Carl is right... The iPhone is easier to navigate than the Kindle.

Unfortunately, my brother showed me some accessable games for the iPhone... Great for options for things for me to do when I'm waiting for anyone when I'm out, but not so great for preventing me from getting distracted when I'm meant to be doing other things. There's a crossword one, and one where I'm a dragon, which I'm particularly enthusiastic about; I can't decide if this is a good thing or not.

***

J is for JAWS.

Which had to be included, because without it this post wouldn't even be possible, since JAWS - which stands for Java Access With Speach - is the software that makes it possible for me to use the computer and internet.

OK, fine, I admit it... I couldn't think of a better "J" word.

Anyway, I was first introduced to JAWS as a teenager, when Carl and I were given a computer for our homework which had JAWS on it. Carl continued to use JAWS from that point. Then, when I lost the last of my sight, Carl helped me to get JAWS for myself. It's an expensive bit of software, but it works well - most of the time, anyway.

***

K is for knitting.

I do a lot of knitting while my Kindle reads to me. I'm currently working on a blanket for my Grandma, which is coming along nicely, if I do say so myself.

I hope Grandma likes the colours, since they were ones I picked based on what she said to me when I first said I'd make her one. Well, it's not my fault if she's changed her mind about what colours she wanted. Mind you, she likes homemade things, so she'll probably love it even if she's changed her mind about the colours.

Anyway, my Nan (Dad's Mother) taught me to knit when I was about nine or ten years old, but at that point I only made blankets and scarves for Jo-Jo, using leftover wool from Nan's knitting projects. Since then I've made several blankets, scarves, wooly hats, and knitted gloves (I'm better at mittens than the kinds with fingers in them).

But my favourite thing to knit is soft toys. Partially because they come together reasonably quickly, and partially because I get to be more creative with them, since I tend to make up the patterns for some of them. Not all, because I do have braille knitting patterns for some cuddly animals. But most are based roughly on the patterns I have; especially one I have for an elephant, which I first adapted for a dog, with great results, if I do say so myself. I've never had complaints about my soft toys, but have had requests to make some for people after they saw others I've made, so I think it's safe to assume I'm right. To date, I've knitted a couple of different dogs, an elephant, a mouse, a horse, a unicorn, a dinosaur, a couple of planes, a soft ball, a set of soft shapes that were like knitted versions of the wooden blocks you can buy for toddlers to play with, a bear, and a couple of penguins. I think that's all... That's all I remember making, anyway.

***

L is for legends.

As in, myths and legends.

I really enjoy hearing the folklore, myths and legends of different places. It doesn't matter to me if they're about fairies and pixies, werewolves and vampires, or something else entirely. My favourite legend is that of the Loch Ness monster.

If, like me, you're interested in myths and legends, you may be interested in reading this post about shapeshifters in Irish mythology. You'll especially enjoy the post if you like to read the myths and legends surrounding werewolves.

***

M is for movies.

My favourite movies, which I've watched so many times I know them by heart, are "Practical Magic" and "The Craft" - despite the fact that the list of movies I really like is almost as long as my list of favourite books.

My favourite movies, like my favourite books, usually have a fantasy element to them, or are aimed at children. Although - again, like with my taste in books - I will watch most things at least once. I mean, how can I know if I like it or not if I don't give it a chance?

***

N is for nature.

I love all aspects of nature: plants and animals alike. I love living close enough to the ocean to hear it all the time, and used to love wandering the mountains and fields of Wales while growing up.

I can't pick one favourite part of nature over another; I can't even pick one favourite season over another, since they all have their good and bad points. But my favourite animals are cats of all kinds (especially lions), dogs, horses, and rodents, though the only kinds of animals I don't really like at all are spiders and insects. I'd even prefer to make friends with a snake than a spider!

***

Come back next week for part three, where I tell you about O-U.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm so excited you are sharing your A to Z! The JAWS and the Braille knitting patterns intrigue me. I really admire that. And as for history, well -- what's not to love. It's just too darned fascinating. (I know what you mean about nature -- I'd have a hard time picking one or two areas, too!)

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm glad you're enjoying my A-Z list.

If you want me to expand on anything at a later date, feel free to ask.

Rita said...

Another great bunch of choices! And why wouldn't you have J for Jaws!! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Glad you think they're great choices. :)

Intense Guy said...

I'm definitely with you with H and N!!!

Hugs!

And hope you keep doing "K" - you are quite talented!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I figured you'd agree with H and N.

Thanks about the knitting.