Sunday, December 20, 2015

Random ramblings - December 20th 2015



No, they aren't my decorations in that picture. They're in the window of a nearby store. Kelly took the photo for me a few weeks ago, since he knows I like to have photos of those kinds of things to share, even if I can't see them myself.

Anyway...

There's less than a week until Christmas. Can you believe it?

This year has zoomed by, hasn't it?

I did try to slow the world down, but it didn't work, and another year is almost over.

So, what are your holiday plans? Are you ready for them?

I'm ready, and any cards and gifts I'm sending are already with people.

In the past, I was making cards, but it was becoming difficult. With my lack of sight I need help, and Kelly has arthritis in his hands that makes it difficult for him to do fiddly things, as well as to write with a pen for long. I don't send to everyone I know. In fact, I have quite a short list compared to the one I used to have. But it doesn't take many cards for Kelly's hand to start hurting; especially if he's had to help me make them.

Anyway, the plan was to use up the last of the handmade cards I have (since I had leftovers from last year) and then send cards via MoonPig, or Funky Pigeon, or something. Except, with everything that's been going on lately, we got behind on our schedule, so would have needed to have a long card writing session in order to get all the cards sent out when we wanted to send them. So, I mostly just went straight to plan B. Apparently that was a good thing though, since those who have gotten them seem very pleased with their MoonPig cards.

***

It's been really cold here. We even got a bit of snow!

OK, it wasn't much snow, and it didn't stick around, but it's better than last year, and still early enough in the season that we could possibly get more. YAY!

In the meantime, I've had some awesome storms to listen to.

It's great being able to curl up on the sofa, or in bed, and listen to the enormous waves crashing against the pebbles of the shore as though determined to pound them to sand before Winter ends, while the wind howls as though a pack of wolves is competing with an ice monster for domanence over this land, and the rain lashes against the windows as though desperate to come in to escape the chaos.

I'd still like some decent snow though... Maybe I'll get some this year? *Looks hopeful*

***

I finnished the other blanket I was knitting during the second half of November. So, here's a photo for those who want to see it:



I'm now in the process of making a doll. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the doll once I've made her, but I thought it would be a fun project. I'll worry about what to do with her when she's finnished.

***

It was my Mam's birthday yesterday (December 19th).

So... Happy birthday, Mam!

***

Speaking of birthdays...

My birthday gift from Kelly finally arrived!

It's not his fault it took so long, nor the company's fault. It was due to issues with the post office; I spent several weeks alternating between waiting for the package to arrive, and calling the post office to find out why it hadn't arrived, while struggling to keep my temper with them for telling me different things every time I called them.

But, anyway... It finally got here last Tuesday. Or, I should say "they" finally got here last Tuesday, since it's a pair.

"A pair of what?" I hear you ask.

A pair of Cthulhu slippers, that's what!

Yes, Cthulhu as in the monster from the H P Lovecraft stories, and the Cthulhu roleplaying game that's based on them.

And here they are:

5 comments:

Rita said...

I can't believe it is almost 2016!! I am excited for the new year in my new home. Poor Kelly! I don't blame you guys at all for not sending out cards anymore. It should be fun and certainly not painful. I've had a couple of years already that if I wasn't getting help from Leah I wouldn't have had handmade cards to send out--even if I can still write.

Pretty blanket! I like so snuggle with Karma on my new chair in this cold weather and watch TV. It's supposed to stay cold enough until Christmas that our snow shouldn't all melt away. I'm happy with that. We might even get light snow another time, too, before then. Much better than last year. :)

Glad you finally got your birthday slippers! They look warm. Have a nice warm week snuggled up listening to the waves crash against the shore. (Now, that sounds cold to me--LOL!)

Intense Guy said...

I'm sorry to hear Kelly's hands hurt so much. He is too young to have that sort of trouble!

The blanket looks wonderful!!

I wonder if one of the mail delivery persons wanted to try the slippers on and delayed the delivery since they were so comfy!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks about the blanket, both of you! :)

Rita:
I know... It's hard to believe how close we are to 2016 already! I'm glad you still have your snow, and hope you keep it over Christmas. I'm still crossing my fingers for more, but only getting more amazing sea storms to listen to. That's almost as good though... Still makes me feel like curling up with a warm blanket and a mug of hot cocoa.

Iggy:
Yeah, I know he is. Unfortunately age doesn't always come in to it when it comes to medical issues. You could be right about the mail delivery person wanting a chance to try on the slippers... That would certainly explain their constantly messing us about as to whether or not they could deliver them, LOL!

Jeanie said...

I love the mental image of you wrapping yourself in a cozy blanket and listening to the waves crash on the shore. I love the ocean so, and it's been a long time since I've heard that.

I'll let you keep the snow and if we get any, I'll gently ask it to cross the pond and visit you (unlikely -- tomorrow is to be 60, our warmest winter I think ever!)

Your slippers are wonderful and I feel so -- I don't know, so divinely at peace reading this post. Waiting for Christmas and wishing there was more time and knowing someone else is doing that thousands of miles away. Merry, merry!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I can easily hear the ocean almost all the time. The only time it's difficult to do so is if neighbours are being really noisy on a day when it's extremely calm. With the weather we've had lately though, it's extremely easy to hear it. I love being able to listen to it, and find it very soothing; even on the days when it's extremely rough.

Oh, yes, please do send any unwanted snow my way if you can. Thanks to Iggy, I now have fake snow every Christmas, but the real stuff would be very welcome in my opinion.

It's strange, but there's something wonderful about how close and connected you can feel when reading about the lives of people thousands of miles away, isn't there?