Sunday, December 13, 2015

Seeing Eye Dragon

I know many of the people who read this blog are interested in learning about my life as a blind author, and how I cope in a sighted world; from doing basic tasks, to learning to use modern pieces of technology like iPhones and EeReaders.

If you're one of those people, why not pop over to Seeing Eye Dragon, and follow the discussions about accessability of gaming and modern technology for the visually impaired, and the other trials a blind person faces when navigating a world made for sighted people.

There's not much on the site as yet, since it's new. But what's there is worth a read, in my opinion. Plus, it's all from the point of view of a blind person, who has been visually impaired since birth, blind since early childhood, and gaming almost as long.

So, go check it out, and feel free to weigh in with your own thoughts on any of the posts; the opinions of sighted people on these topics are welcomed too, after all.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Once the holidays calm down I need to pop over and check that out. They are doing a lot of TV commercials about the Dragon writing/computing program. Don't know if it's the same but when I saw that, I was fascinated and thought it terrific!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
No, it's not the same. But no worries about not checking it out until after the holidays... It will give him time to hopefully get a bit more up for people to read.

Rita said...

Was very interesting, informative, and eye opening! Sighted people apparently have a thing against white canes? I never knew that and I don't understand it. Laziness? I just don't understand it.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I don't understand it either. But I know it's common for sighted people to complain about the use of canes, and make a huge fuss if they trip over them. It doesn't seem to occur to most people that we're using them because we have to, nor that they're the people with sight, so should be able to see them. I mean, the whole point of them being an easily spotted colour like that - complete with a bit of reflective tape - is to make them easy for sighted people to spot.

Intense Guy said...

I suspect the people that complain about canes... well, the world would be better off without them in it.

There are places I would NEVER walk given how idiotically some folks drive or even walk! I see it every day - the self-centered morons - too busy yakking on cellphones or whatever to get their heads out of their asses.

Victoria Zigler said...

*Nods in agreement with Iggy's comment*