Thursday, December 17, 2015

What's on your holiday menu this year? (FD)

After I queeried the lack of food being mentioned in Jeanie's posts about the December holidays - which you can find in my looking ahead to December holiday posts, here, and here, if you want to read them - Jeanie wrote this post, in which she talks about some of the tasty foods she and her family enjoy during the December holidays.

So... I was just wondering... What are your family's favourites for the holiday season?

Tell me below, or tell Jeanie in the comments section of her post.

And, remember: if you need more recipe ideas, there are plenty of recipes that would be good for the holidays among those on my website's recipe section, including things like traditional wassail, banana-nog, sweet mince pie filling, and a variety of cakes and cookies.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Hi Tori,

I think reading the comments in that post was one of the most fascinating -- people have such wonderful, personal traditions, some based on their national foods and heritage, some just old favorites that mom made! We're still trying to decide what to have for our second Christmas (on real Christmas day) when our friends come. Shall we pick a theme? Go traditional? I'll keep you posted!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I've been reading the comments too, and agree that there are some wonderful things on the menu for most people, and it's interesting learning about the traditional and favourite foods people are eating (or planning to eat).

Yes, keep me posted about what you have for Christmas day itself.

Intense Guy said...

My mom usually cooks on Christmas Day - I suspect my vegan brother and sister-in-law will have some sort of vegetable tray and dipping (carrots and peppers and so on).

Dinner is usually Ham or Turkey.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks for sharing about your dinner.

Rita said...

In my family growing up we usually had turkey for Thanksgiving and Ham for Christmas, as I recall. Although there may have been years where we had turkey both holidays. We had Christmas dinner at my dad's parents. She always made baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. (I loved the sweet potatoes but dislike marshmallows.) Mashed potatoes & gravy, rolls, corn, maybe a green bean casserole. And we always had to have potatiskorv on both holidays. Only purchased from a local Swedish butcher who knew how to make decent potatiskorv--after Grandma couldn't find a place to buy pig casings to make her own anymore. Occasionally the other side of the family (mother's) we had to have lutefisk available because my uncle loved it on mashed potatoes. Awful smelling stuff. Never liked it.

There was pumpkin pie and we always had spritz and butterball cookies. Rosettes with powdered sugar on top were a real treat! And lefse with butter, cinnamon, and sugar all rolled up to nibble on. Been many years, but funny how the memories come back when you brought it up--LOL! ;)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Sounds tasty!

Turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas is how Kelly's used to doing things too.