Monday, February 01, 2016

Roleplaying ramblings - February 2016

We had a bit of a break in our usual Thursday fortnightly roleplaying sessions during December and the first half of January. In December it was because of a combination of other commitments and holidays, but the first half of January was because of issues with the TeamSpeak server (TeamSpeak being what we use to be able to all be there talking together despite the large distances seporating us).

We're back at it again now though.

Right now, we're still playing 7th edition Call Of Cthulhu, and - despite two character deaths in the party - are still enjoying it. No, neither of the deaths were my characters. They both belonged to Gareth (a family friend who roleplays with us).

Although, I do have a new character. He's as well as the one I was already playing though, not instead of her. So, I'm playing both a female nurse and a male journalist. I usually prefer to play female characters, but with the game set in the 1920s, it made more sense for a journalist to be male. I'm not saying a woman couldn't be a journalist in the 1920s - in fact, I know they could - but I'm pretty sure a journalist who was a man was always taken much more seriously (like in most professions in those days). Besides, there are more female than male characters in the party, so another male party member made sense for that reason too. My nurse is an Irish red-head named Roisin Cormick, and my journalist is an average-looking Chicago bookworm named Thomas Wyatt.

Pretty soon we'll be taking a break from Call Of Cthulhu in our Thursday sessions to play World Of Darkness for a while instead. My brother, Carl, has been running the Call Of Cthulhu game, but Gareth will be running World Of Darkness. My character for it is already created, and ready to play. She's a sort of river gypsy, and her name is Jessie Smith.

Plus, Carl recently invited me to join him and his friends, Johnny and Ollie, in the Saturday sessions they do about once a month. Dad already joins in with them from time to time, but now Gareth and I have been invited to join them as well. Carl's girlfriend, Tory, has also been invited to join us. So has Kelly, but he already has a game with his own group on Saturday evenings, so can't join in, since the times overlap. Anyway, I said "yes" to joining in.

About the time I decided to join in with the Saturday group, I read this interview on Seeing Eye Dragon. It's a great interview between a blind gamer, and a company trying to help make gaming more accessable for the visually impaired. The interview is worth checking out, if you haven't already read it.

Because of that interview, as well as the upcoming games with the Saturday group, I got to thinking about the systems I've played, and the ones I haven't played, but would like to try.

If you're interested, this is the list of the ones I've played... In no particular order:

  • Pathfinder
  • Ponyfinder
  • Dungeons & Dragons (2nd and 4th editions)
  • Shadowrun (4th edition)
  • Warhammer Fantasy roleplaying
  • World Of Darkness (Mage The Awakening, Hunter, Werewolf The Forsaken, and the version of Werewolf before that one)
  • Star Wars (Star Wars, Star Wars Saga, and Star Wars: Edge Of The Empire)
  • Call Of Cthulhu (I've only played 7th edition, but I've read the rules for 5th edition as I nearly ran it)


I've had more experience with some of those systems than others, of course.

The systems I know I'd like to try are:


  • Mutants And Masterminds
  • Apocolypse World


As it stands at the moment, the Saturday group is still deciding which system to play next, and then we'll need to sort characters. So I'm not 100% certain what date my first Saturday session will be, nor what we'll be playing. It's looking like it will most likely be either Shadowrun or Call Of Cthulhu though, since they're the most popular choices. My vote is for Shadowrun, since we're just finnishing up Call Of Cthulhu on Thursdays, and I haven't played much Shadowrun, but would like to. I'll play more Call Of Cthulhu if that's what everyone else wants to do though.

On top of that, Kelly is trying to arrange a Mutants And Masterminds game done via voice chat with his group so I can join in with it. Sometimes his group does their games as text games (in a chatroom sort of thing) and other times they do them via voice chat. Following a chatroom is just too difficult with JAWS, so I can't join in that way, which is why he's trying to arrange a voice game so I can play too... Since I want to try Mutants And Masterminds, and Carl's group isn't really big on superheroes, where as the guys Kelly games with are. The trick is finding people who are free to game on days when both Kelly and I are free at the same time. Admittedly some of our games don't happen every week. With mine, for example, the Thursday ones are fortnightly and the Saturday ones are about once a month. But since weeks can sometimes be changed due to commitments, we're considering those days already booked for games so as to avoid changed weeks causing problems with any other games, if that makes sense.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Dagan and Leah don't do gaming quite as much as they used to and they also just had a break for two months over the holidays. I don't understand how it all works as I have never gamed, but they really enjoy it.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
It's sort of like acting, only you don't generally bother with costumes, and usually are sat down while pretending to be the character. Also, dice rolls and what skills you were able to get based on your type of character and level of experience play a large part in determining the success rate of your attempted actions.

You might enjoy it actually; I urge you to give it a go with Dagan and Leah some time, if you ever get an oppertunity to do so.

Jeanie said...

I'm not very familiar with the role playing games but it sounds like a fun way to connect with pepole and think on your feet!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
It is. At least, I think so.

Intense Guy said...

Roisin Cormick... what a cool name!!

Have you reported any showstopping headlines yet? Smiles.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks about the name... I thought it sounded cool too.

Not yet. Thomas has a great story... If he's brave enough to tell it. There was a lot of chaos and destruction in yesterday's game that my character could report on, but he's a bit shaken from it all, so may not be brave enough to publish his story. We'll have to wait and see...