Friday, March 25, 2016

Furkid Friday: red plastic ringing thing

Hellooo everyone! This is Baggins the gerbil.

The Mummy human went away somewhere for lots of days. We don't understand why she would go away and leave us, but that's what she did. She did come back though, so I suppose that counts for something. But that's not the point of this post. This post is to tell you about a strange thing that happened while she was away.

The Daddy human held out this red thing that talked in the Mummy human's voice. My ratty sister, Star, who tried to taste the thing, said it was made of plastic. Why would a plastic thing be talking in the Mummy human's voice?

As I said, my ratty sister, Star, tried to eat it. But my gerbil brother, Bilbo, and I didn't trust it so wouldn't go near it, and neither would our other ratty sister, Skye. All four of my degu brothers crowded close to listen to the Mummy human's voice though.

Maybe they were more eager because they were missing her more? I mean, we were all glad when the Mummy human came back, but the Daddy human was here handing out nibbles and attention, so we gerbils and our ratty sisters weren't too concerned about the Mummy human not being here. We might have been if she'd been gone longer, but as it was, we were more surprised she'd want to leave than anything. On the other hand, before that strange thing got held out to us all by the Daddy human, the degus had been a bit upset, and were huddled together looking sad. Hearing the Mummy human's voice from the red plastic thing seemed to make them feel better, though I can't think why.

We're still not quite sure what the red plastic thing is, but I know I've seen both of the human caretakers talking in to it sometimes, especially after it makes a ringing noise. They did this before the Mummy human went away, and have done it since.

But, to us, it's just a red plastic ringing thing, which somehow sounded like the Mummy human.

Squeak soon,
Baggins

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Laffs and laffs.

Yes, I can see how a telephone would seem baffling! I know my folks dog enjoys getting phone calls too - when her humans are away!

Smiles.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Kero used to love talking on the phone. Although, when we still had the kind with the chord atatched to the base, he did have a nasty habit of placing his paw on the button to hang it up if I'd been on the phone some time and didn't keep it out of his reach. I'm not sure to this day if he knew what that did, or just happened to step on it in an attempt to get my attention. What I do know, however, is that he always looked pretty pleased with himself when I was forced to hang up because the line had gone dead (which makes me suspect he did know what that button did)