Monday, March 07, 2016

Of Mother's Day, dinosaurs, Kool-Aid, dentists, and the weather (FD)

It was Mother's Day here in the UK yesterday.

So... Belated Happy Mother's Day to my Mam!

Also to Kelly's Mom, though I'm focussing on sending the wishes to my Mam, because we tend to focus on my Mam when it's Mother's Day here (usually in March, but sometimes in April) and Kelly's Mom when it's Mother's Day in the US and Canada (in May). This is because my Mam lives in the UK, and Kelly's Mom lives in Canada.

Anyway, I did wish my Mam a Happy Mother's Day on the phone and on Facebook yesterday, and also sent her a gift. But I figured I'd say it on my blog today too. And now I have.

***

These dinosaurs showed up for me at the end of January:


Iggy sent them to me when the Kool-Aid he sent me for Christmas didn't show up. It sucks, since Kool-Aid is really tricky to get hold of over here; so are many things you can get easily in the US and Canada, especially if they're food items. But it's totally not Iggy's fault it didn't show up... Stupid mailmen either lost it or stole it, I reckon. OK, most likely lost it, since stealing mail is a big no-no. However, sometimes I wonder. All I know for sure though is that Iggy sent it, but I didn't get it. I had a cheque from my Grandma go missing too. That one I know just got lost, since it had my name on it so couldn't be cashed by anyone else. Grandma had to send a replacement so we could have our Christmas money from her. If I'm really lucky, the Kool-Aid will still show up at some random point in the future. I'm not holding my breath though.

Anyway, I've named the dinosaurs Rex and Sarah. I'm sure you can easily figure out which is which. Not the most unique names, perhaps, but I like them, and that's what matters.

I've already said it to him, but... Thanks Iggy!

***

We've had some nasty storms again. Still no snow though. At least, none worth mentioning... I don't count attempts at snowing where it's no longer snow by the time it hits the ground. So, it looks like I'm got getting any snow worth mentioning this time around. Oh well, better luck next year.

Well, I did get this cool snowflake card from Rita...


Which had an extra snowflake inside...


...But that's a different kind of snow. ;)

Thanks though, Rita... It's a cool card! :)

Also, I used it to try out taking photos with TapTapSee, which is an app visually impaired people can use to take photos and have it tell them what the photos contain. I've had it on my iPhone since I got the phone, but never really played with it until now... It's really cool.

Anyway... As I was saying...

We have had some nice spells between storms. Like the days Kelly took these photos of the ocean from our windows...


...And yesterday morning when, as I said on Facebook, it was nice enough that I was "sat in a shaft of sunlight coming in at just the right angle to beam on me as I sit at my computer, while enjoying the breeze coming in through the open window from the ocean, and listening to the sounds of the ocean itself, the sea birds, and neighbours - many with young children and/or dogs - who are out enjoying themselves on the beach, with the odd interuption of the swish of a car going by." (Something I like to do whenever the weather is nice enough to have the window open... Especially since I got my new comfy computer chair, and we changed the computer room around in early February, so that I'm more comfortable when sat at my computer, and my computer is closer to the window, while Kelly's is further away from it).

Like I said though, most of the past few months we've had plenty of bad storms, where the ocean has been so rough that the roaring of the waves is the only thing you can hear over the howling wind and lashing rain, and things look more like this...


.... Or worse...

One storm that hit at the end of January, for example, while not as bad as predicted, was bad enough that I had to cancel an appointment I had with my dentist just to be on the safe side. Luckily, the appointment wasn't urgent... Just that another filling had come out, leaving me with a hole in one of my teeth. Besides, it wasn't bothering me, so I decided to just leave it be at the time, and to try again to get it sorted out at the end of February, when the weather would hopefully be better. Except I never got around to making a new appointment, and was so tired from my trip to Wales that I probably wouldn't have been up for being pulled about by a dentist anyway. I still haven't gotten around to making an appointment... I should sort that out...

Anyway... Yes... For those of you who missed me mentioning it on Facebook, and didn't get told directly... I went for a visit to Wales near the end of February. That was the "away for almost a week" I mentioned on Wednesday. I'll tell you about that another day though. In fact, I've got a couple of posts planned in which to tell you about it. Oh, and... For the record... It rained almost the entire time I was there. But, hey, of course it did... It's Wales! ;)

6 comments:

Rita said...

Sorry your KoolAid didn't arrive. It just might show up at some random time, like you said. You never know. But the dinosaurs are really cute! Glad you liked the snowflake card. I thought you might get a kick out of it. We've suddenly gotten spring weather!? Beginning of March--ridiculous! But it's been in the 40s to low 60s and expected to continue for a while at least. The snow banks are almost gone. Very strange. We could possibly actually have an early spring. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah, the Kool-Aid still might show up at some random point in the future. I'll make a point of mentioning it on my blog if it ever does show up.

Thanks again for the card... It's really cool. Also, the best snow I've had this Winter, LOL!

An early Spring would probably be welcome to your jackrabbit and grouse neighbours.

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful snow flake!

And I think the idea of an app that describes a photo is way cool! I bet such an app can only get better and better over time!

I'm thrilled you like the 'saurs! Smiles. I bet the "powers that be" think Kool-ade might be drugs so they confiscate it. Some of the powers that be are SO stupid.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yes, the app is pretty cool. So far they've improved it by making it free regardless of how many photos you take (you used to get a certain number of photos for free, and then you had to pay to continue using it) so that's a good start.

I agree... Some of them are quite stupid. It's possible that happened, though I know Kool-Aid can be sent to the UK from the US and Canada.

Jeanie said...

Oh, your weather sounds awful! I hope you either get the snow you want or real spring and very soon! And the dinosaurs very cute indeed!

Well, belated Happy Mothers Day to your mam -- and we'll save Kelly's till May!

A lovely fun post! I'm so behind and getting ready to go away again so will get more so, but I'm really looking forward to hearing about Wales, even if it rained!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I hope you enjoy wherever you're going, and that you enjoy reading the posts about my visit to Wales when I put them up.

Luckily, I do enjoy storms (when I don't have to go anywhere). Also, the few dry days we've had have helped me not get too sick of them. I have to admit to a bit of a longing for some warmer and dryer weather though...