Monday, March 28, 2016

TV talk and movie mutterings - March 2016

Time for this month's post of new to me movies and TV shows, which contains a couple from the end of February as well as those from March.

As with the similar posts from the past couple of months, I've not written very detailed reviews, but instead just given my opinion of the movie or TV show in question, so I've included links to where you can find out more about the movie or TV show, if you want to... Just click on the title of it, and you'll go right there.

So...

Van Helsing (movie):
This movie was an OK movie, and had some funny parts, but I wasn't overly fussed with it. I watched it with my brother, Carl, and our Dad, while I was in Wales, because it fit the steampunk theme of the weekend, but the only one of the three of us to really enjoy it was my Dad. It's possible this was at least partially due to the lack of audio description in a very visual movie... Which, fair play to him, my Dad did try to make up for by describing things to us during the movie... But I think, personally, that I wouldn't have been too fussed on it even if I had a complete description of every single event in the movie. Like I said though, it did have some quite amusing scenes, and was an OK movie. It just wasn't really my thing, I think.

Fairytale: Story Of The Seven Dwarves (movie):
Yes, I'm aware that the link takes you to a movie called "The 7th Dwarf" - it's the same movie. It's one of those with different titles depending on the country. I hate when they do that... It can get confusing. Anyway, I stumbled upon this one about to start accidentally, and thought I'd give it a watch... Since it was a fairy tale re-telling of sorts, and I generally enjoy those. I'm glad I did stop to watch it, because it turned out to be quite entertaining, with a large number of amusing scenes. In other words, it's a great one if you enjoy fairy tale re-tellings like I do, and want something that will make you laugh.

Journey To Dinosaur Island (movie):
Another of those with slightly different titles, depending on what country you're in. I originally only wanted to watch this one because it mentioned dinosaurs, but I ended up very glad I watched it, because it was an excellent movie; especially for those who have any interest in palaeontology and geology.

Far From The Madding Crowd (movie):
I' read the book for this one some time ago, and thought it was "OK" - not great, but not too bad. But I figured I'd check out the movie anyway. I felt the same way about the movie as the book... It's "OK" but nothing special.

The Shannara Chronicles (TV show):
I've read the books this series is based on, and been eager to watch the series since I heard it was being created, so I was hoping that the anticipation hadn't caused me to raise my hopes too much, and - more to the point - that I wouldn't be disappointed when the show was finally showing over here. Luckily, in this case I was not disappointed. The series is a little different to the books... As is usually the case when a movie or TV series is created based on a book... And isn't quite as good, in my opinion. But it's still an entertaining and enjoyable series. Yes, even without audio description.

Sanctuary (TV show):
This is one I'm only now seeing, despite it being an old one (old by today's TV standards anyway). I'm not sure what to say about it. The thing is, it seems like a great show, and yet I can't enjoy it. Why? Because it's too visual, and doesn't have audio description available for it. So, as good as the show seems to be, missing out on most of what's going on just leaves me confused and disappointed, with the result that I quickly gave up on watching it.

The Brecon Beacons with Iolo Williams (TV documentary):
This was a very interesting show, and I wouldn't mind watching an expansion on any of the things discussed in it. Not because where I was born and raised in Wales is on part of the Brecon Beacons, but because the mountains are so vast that I know the episodes of this show were only able to cover the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, and my interest in both history and the natural world make me curious about the rest. I watched this with Carl as well, and he seemed to really enjoy it too.

We also watched an interview with Sir David Attenborough, which was both interesting and entertaining, and which all of us really enjoyed (all of us being Carl, Nan, Dad, and myself, of course).

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm embarrassed I haven't seen any of these but I think the one I would most enjoy is the Attenborough interview. I always loved his nature programming.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Anyone who loves any of his work will love his interviews. He's an amazing man, and has a brilliant sense of humour.

Rita said...

I really enjoyed Far From the Madding Crowd and have seen a couple versions, actually. The rest I havent seen. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
This newer one is the only version I've seen. Like I said, it was OK, but I didn't love it. But then, I didn't love the book either.

Intense Guy said...

I've not seen any of these. I probably would enjoy the ones with dinosaurs and dwarves in them!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I expect you would. You'd have probably enjoyed the interview with Sir David Attenborough too.