Monday, March 27, 2017

March 2017 #TV Talk And #Movie Mutterings

It's time to take a look at this month's new to me movies.

As with the previous posts like this one, just click on the titles to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

OK...

The BFG (2016 movie):
I've read the book for this one several times, and also seen the 1989 version of the movie, and actually enjoyed both the book and the older movie more than this newer one. It's not that I didn't enjoy the newer movie... I did... But the old movie was better. Still, this was a pretty good movie. I hesitate to give it the full five stars, since it didn't quite feel like a five star movie to me, so I'm giving it four out of five stars.

The Secret Life Of Pets (2016 movie):
This one wasn't what I was expecting. It was a pretty good movie, with some entertaining scenes, and some sweet scenes. But there were also some scenes that were ridiculous for a movie that's supposed to be about ordinary pets and what they get up to when their owners aren't around. I mean, some of the things the animals could supposedly do... Um, no! I fully accept that animals - even your average pet - can do some wonderful things, but some of the things they supposedly could do were just ridiculously impossible. Anyway, I'm torn on the rating. I don't think it's quite a three star movie, and if I gave half stars I'd give it three and a half, but I don't do half stars, and always round up, so for that reason only, I give this movie four out of five stars.

That's all I watched this month that was new to me. Unless you count a couple of episodes of NCIS I don't remember seeing before, which I watched while working my way through the first couple of seasons of NCIS on DVD over the past couple of weekends (much to Mollie and Maizie's delight). I'd have gotten further than a couple of seasons, but I've been splitting my weekends between catching up on watching my DVDs, and catching up on some reading, since my weekdays have been so busy lately, so I'm behind on both things right now. I have up to season ten of NCIS on DVD, plus seasons one to nine of The Big Bang Theory. So I have plenty to keep me busy over the next couple of months. I dare say I'll take breaks from those from time to time to watch some movies though.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Usually I watch more in the winter but this year it seems not. I was sorry to miss the BFG so interesting to hear your take.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'll be interested to hear your take on the BFG if you get to watch it.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I haven't seen BFG, but I was very disappointed in The Secret Life of Pets. It had so much potential, but just didn't do it for me.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
I remember reading a post you did a couple of months back where you mentioned seeing The Secret Life Of Pets, and can see why you were disappointed. It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be either.