Wednesday, March 22, 2017

#Writing Wednesday - March 22nd 2017

Do you dream of being a published author? Or, perhaps, there's something else - writing related or otherwise - you've been putting off because you're afraid of failing, or afraid of what others will think? If so, feel the fear and do it anyway. You'll be glad you did!

Once you've got your fear under control, you need to figure out what it means to write for market, and if that's the route you're taking or not. Personally, I just write the story that wants to be written, and worry about trying to get it noticed by the right audience later. But you can - and should - do what you feel is right for you.

Anyway...

Do you write for a middle grade audience? If so, here are some common themes in middle grade fiction... Which one will be right for your story? Only you can decide that. Regardless of the theme though, here's some advice on writing the middle grade novel.

Regardless of the age range you write for, however, here's a look at effective novel intros, to help you get your story started right.

If you write fantasy, you may want to take a look at these seven tips to traversing the fantasy countryside.

Fantasy or not, while you're writing your story, remember to write like you talk. Also, make sure you get your facts right throughout your story by doing your research. But, the question of when you should conduct your research is open for discussion, and is ultimately up to you.

Next, here are five tips for writing good dialogue, which may be useful to you. It's a repost for the person who wrote the post, but I'm not sure if I posted the tips before, so figured I'd go ahead and post them... Better to have them twice than not at all, I think.

Oh, and if you're struggling with writers' block, here are six ways to transition out of writers' block.

Last, but certainly not least, if you're a published author, don't forget you need to send copies of your books to the legal deposit libraries.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I know the friend I send your Wednesday links to never comments but more than once he's mentioned he appreciates these. I don't know where you dig all this up, Tori, but good stuff!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm glad your friend really appreciates these links. I find them through the week on various blogs and sites I follow; any time I come across an article or blog post I think sounds like it's worth sharing, I grab the link, and work it in to my next "Writing Wednesday" post somehow.