Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 2017 #TV Talk And #Movie Mutterings

It's time to take a look at April's new to me movies and TV shows.

As with the previous posts like this one, just click on the titles to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Don't forget: I watch things across multiple genres, as well as for different age ranges, so you should always check before viewing to make certain something is suitable for the intended audience, especially when children are involved. IMDB will usually provide this information for you, but you'll have to look elsewhere if you can't find it on the page I link to.

OK... On to the reviews!

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (2016 movie):
I've read the book for this one, so was really excited about seeing the movie. For the most part, I was not disappointed. I mean, it was an excellent movie, with plenty of entertaining scenes, a great cast of characters, lots of action, etc. In short, as a movie in its own right, it was amazing! However, as a movie representation of the book, it left a little to be desired, especially during the last third of the movie, where they changed so much. During the first two thirds of the movie, it was mostly pretty accurate as a representation of the book, with only the issue of the peculiar abilities of two of the main characters being the wrong way around, and the changes to the story as a result of that. But from a certain point... As I said, about two thirds of the way in... That all changed. Still, as I said, as a movie in its own right it was amazing, and had I not read the book, I would have had no complaints about the movie. So, since I did enjoy it so much, despite the changes from the book's storyline, I'm going to give this movie five out of five stars.

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016 movie):
They changed some of the characters' origin stories, and muddled the timelines a little (something that was more noticeable to Kelly than to me, since he's more familiar with their origin stories than I am). Despite this, however, we both really enjoyed the movie. I asked Kelly how he'd rate this one, and he said, "three and a half, maybe four." I have to say, I agree with him, so I'm giving this movie four out of five stars.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (2016 movie):
I read the screenplay for this one, so was eager to see if it was as good in movie form. It was! In fact, I'd even go as far as to say it was better! Totally awesome movie! Fans of Harry Potter, and those who love unusual magical creatures especially, will love this movie. I'm giving it a well deserved five out of five stars.

Thunderbirds Are Go (2015 TV series):
I don't think I've mentioned this one before, since it was only recently I actually sat down and watched a whole episode, and I don't remember having posted about it in previous posts. Anyway, this isn't as good as the original Thunderbirds TV series, but it's an entertaining and fun one to watch, which fans of the original may enjoy. I give it four out of five stars.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'd like to see Miss Peregrine and the Fantastic Beasts but the others, probably not so much! Thanks for your take on these.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yeah, the others are probably not your thing. I know you'll love Fantastic Beasts though.

Rita said...

I've recently seen both the X-Men movie and Fantastic Beasts. I enjoyed them both. Probably 4 out of 5 stars for both. Haven't seen the Peculiar Children one, but it is on my list. Never heard of the last one. Have to peek at the description.

I am not good at keeping track of the back stories on all the super hero movies, either--LOL! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Glad you enjoyed the two you've seen too. Hope you enjoy the peculiar children one when you watch it. Glad I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping all the superhero backstories straight. Kelly's awesome at it though, so I have my own living superhero encyclopedia whenever I need one. ;)