Monday, May 01, 2017

Tori's April 2017 #Book #Reviews

It's time to take a look at what I read in April.

As with the previous posts like this one, if you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question.

Don't forget: the format I've reviewed may not be the format I read. Also, please remember that I read across multiple genres and age ranges, so you should always check if a book is suitable for the intended reader, especially when children are involved. Sometimes reading the book's description on its Goodreads page will be enough for this, but other times you may need to check elsewhere to figure out the genre and/or recommended reading level.

OK... On to the reviews!

Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Not my favourite of the series, but still an enjoyable and fascinating read.

These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Another fantastic and fascinating addition to the series, which was enjoyable and entertaining, as well as being beautifully written.

The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I was with the rest of the series. The story felt rushed, and was missing the poetic imagery present in the words of the earlier books. The introduction mentioned that this book wasn't published by Laura herself, even though the rough manuscript for it was written by her, and it shows.

Fatemarked Origins: Volume I (The Fatemarked Epic, #1.5)Fatemarked Origins: Volume I by David Estes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An awesome addition to the series, and an interesting look in to the pasts of some of the characters.

Truthmarked (The Fatemarked Epic, #2)Truthmarked by David Estes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
An amazing continuation of this epic adventure, with excellent worldbuilding, a fantastic cast of characters, and a plot that will keep you on your toes.

The Rose and the Mask: A Beauty and the Beast RetellingThe Rose and the Mask: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling by Victoria Leybourne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a beautifully written and enjoyable take on the Beauty And The Beast story, which I found to be an excellent read. This book will appeal to fans of fairy tale retellings in general, and fans of the Beauty And The Beast story in particular.

Hope Everlasting: A Dystopian Sci-fi Novel (The Variant Saga Book 3)Hope Everlasting: A Dystopian Sci-fi Novel by J.N. Chaney
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I'm absolutely loving this series! The worldbuilding is amazing, and it has a great cast of characters. Also, the writing itself is great too.

Notes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on TwoNotes from a Small Dog: Four Legs on Two by Sue Vincent
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I fell in love with Ani via her blog posts, and fell in love with her all over again while reading this book. This is a well-written - not to mention, often entertaining - read, which anyone who loves dogs will enjoy.

Burning BeliefBurning Belief by D.J. Farrington
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book had an interesting plot, but the story was spoiled for me by an irritating cast of characters who spent most of the book insulting and swearing at one another.

Voyages (The Gift, #1)Voyages by Richard Sutton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A steady paced and interesting read, with some great characters and an intriguing plot.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

You've been busy, Tori! I'd like to re-read the Little House books again.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
You totally should!