Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday's random mutterings - March 16th 2015 (LBE)

This is the view from the two windows in our living room:


Same view, different day, but only from one window this time...


The above photos were taken during late morning, and only a few days apart. These two were taken around sunset a couple of weeks later:


Like I said, we're really close to the ocean, and can go there whenever we want, plus hear it all the time. And, yes, we've been to sit down by it for a while. After all, how could we resist doing so when it's so close?

***

While sat down by the ocean last week, we spotted the usual seagulls, but we also spotted another type of bird, which we were unable to immediately identify, but were both curious about.

So, when we got home, we went and looked on the RSPB's website to see what it was, and discovered it was a type of bird called a Turnstone.

We didn't get photos of it though, because we didn't have the camera with us, so you'll just have to look at the RSPB's pictures if you want to see what it looks like. They also have a short clip so you can listen to one.

***

Everyone knows February’s main attraction is Valentine’s Day. So, I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that - in honour of Valentine’s Day - February's reading challenge on one of the groups I'm a member of on Goodreads was all about LOVE!

I waited to post it until now though, because the challenge went up late, so we were given until March 10th to complete it, instead of the usual "end of the month" finnish date.

Anyway...

Here are the 15 different types of love that were listed for the challenge, as well as the details for the type of book we were to read for the spacific type of love, and which book - if any - I read for it.

1. Infatuation- loving feelings towards a love object that are largely based upon fantasy and idealization (instead of experience).
Read a book that is in the fantasy genre!

*I read "Stanley Scotch And The Land Of Giants" by Kit Jenson.

2. Romantic Love- An abiding love for a partner with whom you feel passion, attraction, caring and respect.
Read any book that is in the romance genre!

*I read "Victorian Short Stories: Stories Of Courtship" by W.S. Gilbert, Anthony Trollope, Hubert Crackanthorpe, George Egerton & Israel Zangwill.

3. Eros Love- a passionate love usually involving sexual feelings for a love interest.
Read a book that you were passionate about - Old Time Favorite.

4. Companionate Love - feelings of warmth towards a friend with whom you love to spend time.
Read a book off one of your friends lists.

*I read "Burn" (Salem's Revenge, #3) by David Estes.

5. Unconditional Love - A type of affection and caring that is so strong that you feel it consistently, regardless of what that other person does.
Read a book that is written by one of your favorite authors.

*I read "London Belongs To The Alchemist" (Class Heroes, #4) by Stephen Henning.

6. Conditional Love - A love that requires specific action or conditions in order to be maintained.
Read a book that can be found in the Action/Adventure genre.

*I read "Neptune's Trident" (Astro's Adventures, #7) by Susan Day.

7. Puppy Love - A childish, innocent temporary crush on someone that you don’t know well.
Read a book with an animal or child on the cover.

*I read "Astro Is Down In The Dumps" by Susan Day.

8. Maternal Love - This term usually connotes love that is nurturing, accepting and protective. In actuality this love can also be given by a father etc.
Read a book that begins with the same letter as your mothers name. (example - my moms name is Frances (my pick is Fire Country).

9. Paternal Love - This term connotes love that involves guidance and some authority. Paternal love usually prepares a child to be ready for the outside world. Again, in reality this type of love is not gender specific.
Read a book that is in the New Adult Genre (ie coming of age).

10. Soulmate Love - This type of love is described as a love that has survived multiple life times. Not everyone believes in this concept.
Read a book that is in the romance genre, see if you can find one where they find their soulmate.

11. Spiritual/Divine Love - This type of love recognizes the Divine light in everyone and everything. Love is given to everyone as an act of loving God.
Read a book that is in the Christian/Spiritual genre.

12. Love of your country or patriotism - This is love for the place you live or the place that you were born. It is a type of loyalty and a special feeling of belonging that you attribute to that specific geographic location.
Read a book that is from an author in the country you were born.

13. Self-Love - This is a positive feeling that you have about who you are and what you deserve. It often is expressed by treating yourself well, respecting yourself, wanting yourself to be happy and expecting others to respect you too.
Read a book that will make you happy.

*I read "Flip" (Slip, #3) by David Estes.

14. Brotherly Love - This term connotes having a feeling of love for your neighbor, because all humanity is considered to be part of a larger family of human beings.
Read a book that a friend has recommended.

15. Tough Love - This term is used to describe a love that is expressed by setting boundaries for the good of the other person.
Read a book that has the word tough or love in the title.

I would have gotten more done, but the move slowed down my reading, and I got given several books in exchange for reviews, so I didn't read all the books I planned to last month. I did read some great ones... They just didn't work for this challenge.

***

It's Saint Patrick's Day tomorrow.

Now, I don't personally celebrate it - though I do have Irish ancestry - but I know plenty of people do. If you're one of those people... Did you know that you're celebrating the myth, not the man?

I'm not saying you shouldn't continue to celebrate it; celebrate what you like. You should know what you're celebrating though. It's always good to have all the facts before deciding anything, and I for one think deciding what holidays to celebrate is no exception.

***

I made this knitted cat around the start of the year:


I wasn't sure what to do with it at first, but when I mentioned it to my Mam, she said she wanted it. So, I gave it to her for Mothers' Day - along with the yellow bear I knitted at the end of last year.

Despite having knitted it a couple of months ago, it took until just before it went in the box to go to my Mam to get a photo arranged for it. I know, I know... But there has been a lot going on with the move, in my defence!

Anyway....

I've also made a knitted dog, but it doesn't have eyes yet, and is currently packed in a box, so won't be getting its eyes just yet. I'll get Kelly to take a photo of it when it's unpacked and has eyes.

In the meantime, I'm knitting a couple of blankets for people. They're going to be gifts, but they were requested. One is for my Mam, and she'll be having it for her birthday. The other is for my Grandma, and she'll be having it for Christmas. So, that gives me until the end of November to get them knitted, so as to give time to get them sent in time (Mam's birthday is just before Christmas). Mam's blanket is almost half done already, actually.

***

In other - and less cheerful - news...

Sir Terry Pratchett died last week.

He was one of my favourite authors, and it's sad to think he'll never write another book again.

Rest in peace, Terry Pratchett!

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Wow! When you said close to the ocean, I was thinking a block or two away... not "in it"!!!

I think your knitted cat is really cute!! Your mam is lucky to get it!

RIP - it's hard to lose a favorite author - they keep you wanting more - and now, there won't be anymore. I felt this way with Frank Herbert (Dune series) and Tom Clancy (Hunt for Red October).

Hugs - I don't really celebrate St. Patrick the man, myth or anything other than my partial Irish heritage!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
At the old place we were about three blocks away from the ocean, but here... Well, you can see for yourself. We have to walk a block from where the building entrance is down to the ocean, but the front of the property is only really separated from the beach by the promonade, a road, and the sidewalk on either side of the road.

Glad you like the cat... Mam liked it too.

Yeah... I still can't believe there'll never be a new Terry Pratchett book again.

Celebrating your heritage is a good thing; regardless of where your roots lay!

Rita said...

I, too, was shocked at how close to the ocean you guys are now! You can see it right out your window! Awesome! Your mom will love the cat. You have been very busy with all the creating blankets and stuffed animals and all the reading. I'm so glad you are in your new place now, though. Enjoy it! I bet you will be out and about a lot this summer!! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, we hope to be able to be out and about more this Summer.

Like I said to Iggy... I did say it was close! We can see it from half our windows, and hear it well enough from all the rooms that I can lay in bed and listen to the ocean.

Jeanie said...

I love the ocean and am a bit envious you are so close! I'm sure it has its downside but I'm not sure what it might be!

Your adorable cat is so sweet. You're busy with the knitting. I don't do it so much since my arthritis in my hand has been a bit worse but I so admire it!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks about the knitted cat! I didn't have patience for knitting and sewing when my Nan was teaching me when I was younger, but find it's a good way to keep my hands busy while I listen to books these days.

There's good and bad points to living anywhere. But the only thing I consider a down side of this place is the three flights of stairs between our place and the street. Being so near the ocean makes it worth it though.