Monday, June 15, 2015

Monday's random mutterings - June 15th 2015 (FD)

We've had some awesome storms lately, but this was the view from our window this past Thursday...


The weather was really nice, the ocean was bluer and calmer than it had been in ages, and plenty of our neighbours - those who live close by, and those who live a little further away - were out there enjoying it; not that I blame them in the least.

I love listening to the people enjoying themselves on the beach. Especially when there are dogs or children involved; listening to the delighted squeals of children paddling and splashing in the ocean, or the excited barks of dogs playing fetch or trying to chase the waves, always makes me smile.

Another reason I enjoy listening to the children out there is because I love hearing some of the things they say, or the games they invent to play, many of which make me laugh when I hear them drifting up through my open window; children have excellent imaginations.

It's just a shame that some of it is interrupted by the sounds of traffic going past us on the road between our building and the promonade; the sounds of cars, busses, and trucks isn't quite as pleasant to listen to, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Anyway, the next day (Friday) it was really hot and humid, and the rest of the weekend was overcast and very windy (Well, Saturday was very windy; Sunday was quite nice). It's meant to stay nice all week, but personally I think there's another storm coming; it's been trying to break since Friday.

***

My Mam and a family friend named Jo came for a visit over the weekend.

They were supposed to arrive with us about lunch time on Saturday, and I was going to go out for coffee with them. Well, OK... I wouldn't have had coffee; I'd have had tea or a soft drink, since I don't really like coffee. But you know what I mean, I'm sure.

Except they decided to drive down Friday evening instead, with plans to stay somewhere nearby for the night, and then come to us to take us to breakfast on Saturday morning.

But, as it turned out, that also didn't end up happening, because they couldn't find anywhere with an empty room, so they ended up arriving with us around 2:00am Saturday morning.

Mam and I had trouble sleeping. Well, actually, Mam had trouble sleeping, and I just didn't manage to sleep at all, so we ended up going for a walk down to the ocean at around 5:00am. Those who have me on Facebook might already know this, since we messed about with the camera on my Mam's phone, and she posted the photos up on Facebook after we got back. I don't have copies, or I'd have put them in this post. Yeah, I know I could grab them off Facebook, but it's not very easy for me to do, and I don't feel like trying to do it; not for photos that were just us messing about.

Anyway...

After that, Mam managed to get a bit of sleep, while I read for a while, until it was late enough for us to go for breakfast; which Mam paid for.

We went to one of our favourite cafes, which is only about a block and a half away from us. Mam and Jo had full cooked breakfasts, I had an egg baguette, and Kelly just had to be different and have a burger for breakfast. But, hey, we all enjoyed our breakfasts, and that's what matters.

They didn't stick around after breakfast, since they wanted to go in to town and look around some of the shops. I expect they'd have been happy for us to join them, but I was just about ready for a nap, so they went to do some shopping, and Kelly and I came home.

I did go for a nap, but didn't sleep much.

But, anyway, after nap time, Kelly and I sampled the cheese scones Jo had made, and the peanut butter cookies my Mam had made; both of which were quite tasty.

We didn't see them again, even though they were in the area until Sunday, because they had other plans, and actually had somewhere to sleep Saturday night besides our living room; which I'm sure they were pleased about, since it meant they had beds, plus didn't have to share a room with the rodent gang (neither my Mam or Jo really like rats, and the rodent gang's cages are all in the living room).

It's probably just as well, since it was Sunday morning before I got any sleep worth mentioning.

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Nice to hear your mom is out and about. I hope she is feeling much better these days!

Thanks for the photos of the seashore!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
You're welcome about the photos!

Yes, she's out and about more these days, and seems to be doing better.

Jeanie said...

Sounds like a lovely time and good to see your mum. We've been having our share of rain here, too. I hope yours eases up -- we're supposed to be having rain off and on for the next week!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
We've not had much rain in the past week, though I think we're due for more. The weather reports say not, but I'm not sure I believe them.

Rita said...

That had to be quite a surprise to find them at your door at 2am! Sounds like you managed to have a really nice weekend despite not getting much sleep to speak of all weekend. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah... And I got a decent chunk of sleep last night, so it all worked out in the end.