Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Wednesday's writing related ramblings - June 10th 2015 (LBE)

As you'll no doubt already knowif you follow me on Twitter and Facebook, but may not if you don't...

The first of my books is available in print!

Here's me holding the first book to arrive:

(Sorry if I'm not looking too great in the photo; I wasn't feeling too well... Still not, really, though I'm feeling a lot better than I was. I had to have a photo of me with the first book to arrive though, didn't I?)

And here's a close-up of the book in question:


It's one of the books in my "Degu Days Duo" series; the series about my degu boys, Jacob, Jasper, Jenks, and Joshua.

"A Very Degu Christmas" is now available to buy from CreateSpace, Amazon UK, Amazon.Com, and a bunch of other Amazon sites.

"The Great Degu Round-Up" (the other degu book) arrived the following day, and is also now available to buy in paperback from CreateSpace, and Amazon.

They will also eventually be available for other bookstores (independant and otherwise) and libraries to order copies to stock - should they wish to do so, or should you request that they do so - though it will take a couple of months for that to be an option (CreateSpace say about six to eight weeks).


Thanks again to Kevin, and Alex, and Chris, for posting to tell everyone that my books are starting to become available in paperback; your help with getting the word out is very much appreciated.

By the way... Because of the way things work with ISBNs, most places will probably list the publisher as "CreateSpace" - like how most places list the publisher of my eBooks as Smashwords - but I actually got to pick a company name, and am publishing them under the company name "Keroberous Publishing" in honour of my beloved Westie, and it says "published by Keroberous Publishing on CreateSpace" on the copyright page of the paperback versions of my books.

Speaking of Kero...

The entire "Kero's World" series is also available in paperback from CreateSpace now too, and will be available on Amazon in the next couple of days.

The books for that series are:

1. Kero Goes Walkies
2. Kero Celebrates His Birthday
3. Kero Gets Sick
4. Kero Celebrates Halloween
5. Kero Goes To Town
6. Kero Celebrates Christmas
7. Kero Crosses The Rainbow Bridge

(Click on the book titles for the CreateSpace links).

More of my books will be available in paperback soon!

But... That's not all!

As you'll know if you saw my post on Saturday, the eBook version of "Zeena And The Dryad" is now officially released, and available from all the usual eBook retailers who stock my eBooks, such as Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Apple, and Kobo (among others).

It's been an exciting week!

Now for those writing links...

I don't have problems generating ideas, but if you could use a bit of help, here are 3 surefire ways to generate book ideas. Also, remember to pedal your bike to pedal your mind.

Are you thinking of making up an alien or fantasy language for your story? If so, check out this post entitled "thoughts on writing - creating fantasy languages" for some useful tips.

Ready to edit? Here are 8 tips for editing a manuscript, and a post called "for the Love of Comma" with some information on use of punctuation. Also, if you plan to use Beta readers, here are 6 tips for using beta readers.

Once your book is ready, it's time to figure out the price, and to answer the big question: "to offer it free or not" and, if not, how much to charge? Personally, I have one story available for free as an eBook, and have a pricing system I've worked out based on word count for the rest of them. I've tried to be fair with my prices - and also tried to be fair when figuring out a pricing system for my paperback versions - and hope people think I have been.

OK, so... You've published your book, and find yourself saying "I'm a published author, but no one in my family cares," while waiting for requests for autographs, etc. Well, sorry to disappoint you, but that's the most likely outcome for most writers. Don't get me wrong, I have some family members and friends who are very supportive, but I have to admit that the kind of comment made by the daughter at the end of the post I just linked to is about what I get most of the time; sometimes not even that. I wish you the best of luck with your books, but would like to remind you that most writers don't get lucky enough to become rich and famous, so if you're in it for fame and fortune, you should probably go do something else. Write because you love it, and that pleasure will be its own reward.

Last but not least, everyone loves a contest, so here are 9 tips for holding fun (and successful) contests to help you get the most of any contests you hold for your fans.

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hey! I want an autograph!!

It is so exciting to see you with your own book in your hands!

Intense Guy said...

P.s., I enjoyed that "for the Love of Comma" post.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yes, that was a good post.

I'm sure we can sort something out about an autograph at some point...

Jeanie said...

What a great joy to hold your own creation in your hands! Even though you can publish online and develop a following, to have it where you can touch it must be such a joy!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yes... It is!

It's like publishing my first book all over again, only with more people accepting that I'm a published author (it seems some people needed me to have physical copies of my books in order for them to realize I really am publishing my books).

Rita said...

Congrats on your first book in hand!! I have a couple "books" but I have just one short story or poem in the whole literary journal--LOL! Having many books published is quite an accomplishment, Tori! Congrats!! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Rita! :)