Friday, July 29, 2016

#Furkid Friday: Jacob The #Degu's Recent #Vet Trip (FD)

Hi humans, rodent types, and anyone else reading this.

This is Jacob the degu.

My human caretakers took me to the vet.

They stuck me in a box with air holes cut in to it, and wouldn't let me get back out... I didn't even have my brothers with me! Then we had a ride in one of those taxi car things, which I didn't like, because it was hard to stay in one place in my box when we went around corners, and the taxi car thingy was really noisy. Plus, they still wouldn't let me come out of the box, which wasn't fair! I didn't like the box, and I especially didn't like being by myself in it.

Anyway, after that we had to wait to see the vet. I kept busy with escape attempts, but the human caretakers were paying too much attention, so I never managed to get out of the box. One time I even tried to trick them by suddenly staying still so they'd worry I'd hurt myself, and trying to leap out of the box when they lifted the flap to check on me. But they were too quick for me, and I never made it out of the box.

So, the vet checked me all over. I'm free of mites, and my ears look great. I'm also in the right weight range for a degu, and weighed in at 214 grams. However, two of my front teeth needed trimming, so the vet fixed those for me right away. Actually, those teeth were part of why the human caretakers decided to take me to the vet, apparently. Them, and the fact I've lost a lot of fur and have sore patches from biting at myself.

Part of the reason for the fur issue is how upset I am after losing Bilbo and Jasper, but another part of it was infection. You see, I somehow managed to bite the inside of my mouth, and it got infected, which isn't comfortable, as I'm sure you can imagine. So the vet said I had to have something for it, and squirted some nasty tasting stuff in my mouth. Then he gave the humans a bottle with more of the stuff in it, and said I had to have it twice a day, and have to go back to see him two weeks after the appointment to see if the infection has cleared up, and to make sure that I haven't lost any weight (which is a concern, both because I had an infection in general, and because of the fact I've been really picky with food lately).

I didn't like the sound of that, and wasn't impressed about what I had to go through when the vet was seeing to me. So I sulked in my box all the way home. Then I went straight to bed. I was going to refuse to talk to the human caretakers, but the Mummy human gave me one of my favourite nibbles, so I changed my mind about that. Speaking of nibbles, the vet also said I wasn't allowed to have any fresh veggies until I get better, just in case they upset my tummy. I'm not a big fan of fresh veggies anyway, so I don't mind that much... I'm more of a cereal kind of degu, so instructions for me to be on dry food only are just fine with me. It was the only part of the vet trip I approved of, actually.

Anyway, the vet trip was last week (on the afternoon of Thursday, July 21st) and my appointment to go back to the vet is scheduled for next week (it's at 2:00pm on August 4th). Personally, I'd prefer it not to have been scheduled at all. But apparently what I want doesn't come in to it, because the appointment was made before we left the vet... I heard the human caretakers scheduling it while I was still inside that stupid box.

I don't like vet trips, and this stuff they keep making me take tastes really awful! The human caretakers keep insisting it will make me feel better, but I'm not convinced, and don't see why I should have something nasty tasting squirted in to my mouth. I mean, how would the human caretakers like it if someone did it to them? I bet they wouldn't be so eager for it to happen then, would they?

OK, so maybe I am doing a bit better. Maybe. But for all I know I'd be doing a bit better even without that nasty stuff they keep squirting in to my mouth. Like I said, they keep insisting that stuff is doing me good. But, as I also said, I'm not convinced, and I'm not looking forward to going back to the vet next week.

Squeak soon,
Jacob

4 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hope you feel all better soonest Jacob and don't need that nasty medicine anymore!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks! You and me both... Especially about the medicine part!

Squeak soon,
Jacob

Rita said...

I hope when you go back he says you are all better and don't have to go back! Not too much longer and you won't have to have the nasty stuff anymore. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I hope you're right! That medicine stuff is so bad I even hide now when I hear the humans say the word!

Squeak soon,
Jacob