Monday, July 25, 2016

July 2016 #Vegetarian Friendly #Food themed Thoughts (FD)

If you don't already know, I'm a vegetarian, though my hubby, Kelly, isn't one, and swears he never will be. In fact, I'm the only vegetarian in my immediate family. I also like to try new recipes. So, though I don't always try them all, I'm always on the lookout for new vegetarian or vegan friendly recipes... Especially ones that are quick and easy to prepare and cook. I watch for them on social media sites I'm on, as well as on the blogs I follow, and I search for them on Google sometimes too.

During one of these Google searches, I recently stumbled across a tasty sounding avocado egg roll recipe, so decided to give it a try. I haven't had much experience with avocados, and the only other time I've done anything with them myself was when I had one raw in a sandwich once (I think it was with tomato and onion).

The first time I planned to try it, I couldn't get any avocados, so I decided to see how it worked out with zucchini instead, since I had everything else. It worked really well, in my opinion, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had it with a peanut sautae sauce for dipping.

The second time, I actually had an avocado. So, YAY! Anyway, I think it worked out well, and tasted really good that way too. That time I had it with hoi sin sauce for dipping.

Both versions I did work with other kinds of wrappers as well, such as tortillas. Tortillas aren't the best choice for making these though, since it's a little more difficult to get them to stay together for frying when you use a tortilla. Well, actually, a LOT more difficult... Messy too!

***

Don't forget, my website has a recipe section, which you may want to take a look at (if you haven't already done so). Most of the recipes listed there are vegetarian friendly, and several are also vegan friendly.

3 comments:

Rita said...

I have never liked egg rolls. I've always been an egg foo young person, myself. But this does sound pretty good. Must be hard to live with somebody who eats meat. Good for you! :)

Intense Guy said...

I like a lot of vegan dishes - I eat meat - but not all that much or all that often.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, it is difficult sometimes. But after so many years of him eating meat, and me not, I've gotten a bit more used to it. Also, we keep all our food stuff seporated, other than those items we both eat (like bread, potatoes, that kind of thing). Anyway, if you're not a big fan of egg rolls, you could always try doing it with the tortilla instead. It's a bit more messy, and doesn't stay together as well, but it does work.

Iggy:
Good for you! Do you have any favourite recipes?