Monday, July 11, 2016

My Thoughts On #Brexit (kinda R/WP)

As you most likely already know, last month, the UK voted on whether or not to leave the EU.

Well, I didn't. I never vote, because I never feel well-informed enough to confidently decide on things like this. Especially when - as was the case in this situation - we don't actually have all the facts to be able to make an informed decision. But most people voted. I think nearly 80% of the UK actually turned out to vote.

Anyway, the vote was to leave the EU, which upset a lot of people who don't want to leave the EU, and started a bunch of hate crimes from others who thought if we're leaving the EU we should kick out anyone not completely British. Apparently they've conveniently forgotten that almost nobody in the UK can actually claim to be 100% British right the way back down the line of their family trees. Funny that.

But, are we leaving the EU? That's the big question. And, the sad fact is, I actually have no idea. I don't think even the government knows for sure at the moment.

The Prime Minister resigned when the votes came back saying the majority of the public had voted to leave the EU (well, England and Wales... Ireland and Scotland voted to stay in... But it still worked out that the votes to leave were more than those to stay by a couple of percent). So, right now a bunch of potential Prime Ministers are arguing over who gets to be in charge of the country. It depends which of them wins to what happens, how it happens, etc.

I actually think the uncertainty is worse than either outcome. I mean, there are pros and cons to both leaving and remaining in the EU. But this uncertainty is causing panic, which is causing problems of its own as people squabble like pre-schoolers fighting over the last cookie at snack time, or worse. Made even worse still by the fact that the people in power appear to be almost as confused as the rest of us as to what happens next.

I've been asked by several people if I think we should leave the EU or not. The truth is, I'm actually not sure how I feel either way, since there are pros and cons to both sides, as I said. We didn't have enough details before the vote, and I honestly don't really think we do now either. All I know for sure is that this uncertainty is worse than either choice, and the crimes of hatred, and increased racial violence, need to stop. Regardless of whether we leave the EU or not, attacking one another for a difference of opinion or background, or for any other reason, isn't the way forward. It saddens and sickens me that so many seem to feel it is.

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I hope, whatever happens, you and Kelly are not much affected.

Hugs.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I'm not sure. As I said, they haven't actually given us all the facts. We should be OK though, since I'm a full British citezen, and Kelly has duel citizenship (his Mother was born in the UK, and though she has lived in Canada for some time, she never officially gave up her British citezenship). We'll just have to wait and see to know for sure what will or won't happen though.

Jeanie said...

I think you are right about the uncertainty being worse. You can't move until you know where you are going and what you have to do to get there. I hear you will have a new PM as of tomorrow. I hope that is a good thing -- she sounds very well spoken and thoughtful -- I hope that's accurate.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
She may be well-spoken and thoughtful, but people aren't too happy with her as the choice for the new prime minister... They're calling for a general election. So, yet more uncertainty... *sigh*

Rita said...

What crazy times! I think we are also going to be in for some crazy this fall. I hope you guys are okay and that the government sorts itself out soon so all this uncertainty dies down. All that rampant anger is scary.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
We're good right now. We just wish things would become resolved so we knew what would be happening in the future, and wish the hate crimes would stop.