Saturday, October 29, 2016

#TDWHalloweenParty 2016: The Dance Of Lady Autumn - A #Poem (FD)

If you're new here... Welcome! If you're a regular visitor... Welcome back!

Say hello to this year's Mr. Pumpkin-Head and his friends...


Don't mind the skeleton and his warning... He can be quite dramatic at times. He's harmless, really.

Anyway, we're glad you could come. It's cold outside, and the roaring of the obviously rough ocean waves makes me think a storm is close, so please come in and make yourself comfortable while you get warmed up. You'll still be able to hear the waves roaring as they crash against the shore, but you'll be warmer inside, and dryer if the rain arrives.

The kettle is already on, so what will it be? Perhaps a nice apple and pear tea?

If that's not for you, don't worry, we have other teas as well; I stock a variety of herbal and fruity teas, plus regular tea. Or, perhaps you'd prefer a coffee? Or a nice mug of hot chocolate? Or, if you'd prefer, you could have a cold drink... I have a couple of available options for that too. Take your pick!

And, since no party is complete without cake... Help yourself to a slice of this jam and cream sponge...


Yeah, I know it's not a very Halloween themed cake, but I always think you can't go wrong with a nice strawberry jam and whipped cream sponge. Although, I suppose if you're a vegan or diabetic, or have an alergy to strawberries or something, you might feel differently. If that does apply to you though, I'm sure I can find you an alternative. I generally have things like crackers, oat cakes, fruit (dried, canned, and fresh) and that kind of thing available, so we can figure something out for you. It would be no trouble at all to do so, so please don't hesitate to speak up.

Or, for those more adventurous guests, how about we take the time to learn about Hallowmas (Halloween in Medieval times) and how to make soul cakes? Bet you can't get those at your local bakery...

OK? Everyone got their snack and drink of choice? Great!

So, while you enjoy your drink and snack, let me treat you to one of my recent poems, which was written around the time of this year's Autumn Equinox, which - for those who don't know - was on September 22nd. In fact, for the benifit of those who want to be accurate, I can tell you that the exact time and date of this year's equinox - as in the astronomical event itself - was on Thursday September 22nd 2016 at 2:21pm UTC (that's UK time, in case you don't know).

Anyway, this poem has never been shared before. It will appear in my next poetry collection - whenever I have enough poems to make it worthwhile putting another together - but, in the meantime, here it is:

The Dance Of Lady Autumn

Here comes Lady Autumn,
In gown of crimson and gold.
With amber eyes and russet hair,
She’s a beauty to behold.
See her dance among the trees;
Twirling around and around.
Each leaf she touches changes,
Before it tumbles to the ground.

Watch as the wind snatches them up;
It almost looks like chance.
But if you’re watching carefully,
You’ll see they’ve joined the Lady’s dance.
See how the leaves match her gown,
As well as her russet curls.
Watch how they move with her,
As she spins and twirls.

If you linger long enough,
Perhaps she’ll dance with you?
But when the dance comes to an end,
(As everything must do)
You best hurry home to your fire,
For Autumn will be through.


© 2016 ~ Victoria "Tori" Zigler

This Halloween party post was published a couple of days before Halloween intentionally so I could have plenty of time to link up with the Halloween party over on The Domestic Witch's site. Speaking of which, once you're done here, you might like to click on the banner below to join in the fun, and check out the posts everyone else has done.



Happy Halloween, and thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

Karen portman said...

that is beautiful sweetie xxxx

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks! Xx

Danielle L Zecher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Thanks... Glad you think so. Also, thanks for visiting!

Victoria Zigler said...

I'm not sure what happened to Danielle's comment. It says it was removed by a blog administrator, but since the admin for this blog are myself and my hubby, and neither of us did it, I'm not sure what's up with that. So, I'm reposting her comment from the eMail notification I had about her leaving one:

"Danielle L Zecher said...
That cake looks delicious! Tea, cake, and poetry, what a great combination."

I'm sorry that happened, Danielle.

Rita said...

The cake looks scrumptious!! I could almost hear the ocean and feel the ch1ill. Well, I CAN feel the chill--LOL! Could see the leaves dancing in your poem. Happy autumn and happy Halloween, Tori!

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thanks... I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Happy Halloween to you too.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Oh, and happy Autumn as well! :)

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful poem!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem... I thought you might like it.

Jeanie said...

Well, thanks for the party invite! What's wrong with a strawberry cream sponge -- sounds wonderful to me and round as a pumpkin! And I really did love your poem, Tori.

Thanks for having a party for us! Loved every bit from the food to the decorations to the words!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks... I'm glad you loved every bit of the party, and enjoyed the poem.