Wednesday, October 12, 2016

#Writing Wednesday - October 12th 2016

Firstly, a recent announcement from those who brought us PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Ideas Month)... It's going through some changes.

Secondly, here's a post by Ross Harrison about the upcoming Battle of Hastings stories, which you'll be hearing a lot about in the next week, since this coming Friday is the 950th anniversary of the battle. Ross isn't involved in the story writing this time, but he's a fellow Smashwords author, and contributed stories to Wyrd Worlds and Wyrd Worlds II, which are the science-fiction and fantasy anthologies the Smashwords group on Goodreads did in the past (some of you may remember that I was involved with Wyrd Worlds II). Oh, and... Just in case you missed my post about it yesterday... those of us involved in writing stories about the battle are answering questions all month on this thread, and I'm offering to repost the questions asked on my blog on to the thread on your behalf.

Thirdly, if you're not sure how to approach interaction on social media, just remember to CARE about your readers.

***

If you're an author, and if you're anything like me, your least favourite part of being an author is the marketing. Unfortunately, without the marketing getting done, nobody's going to buy the books we write, are they? So, take a look at these 11 ways to overcome marketing dread, and see if you can make your marketing plan more inviting. While you're at it, you may also like to check out these easy ways to streamline your author brand and winning strategies for your author event. Plus, with the new enhanced, and more flexible, coupon options from Smashwords, you have a bit more flexibility if part of your marketing campaigne is going to include coupons for eBooks you publish via Smashwords.

Regardless of your plans for marketing, here's a great article on how a little knowledge can go a long way when it comes to writing a story readers will love. Plus, these next couple of articles will be useful if you're writing something where you need to make sure you get your facts right about Medieval England, or know the differences between China and Japan.

As this next post explains, you need mini goals to complete your novel. This doesn't just apply to those 80 thousand words or longer ones mind you. It doesn't matter how long, or short, your writing project is, setting mini goals and rewarding yourself when you reach them can be a great way to encourage yourself to complete that story you always wanted to write. Plus, getting the rewards makes the writing process even more fun than it already is!

Finally, with the big holidays upon us, you may like to read this article on crafting seasonal stories that sell.

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

I think marketing your own word, whether it is writing, art or something more technical, is very difficult. Each genre seems to have specific things that might work better for one story (or business or style of art) than another and it takes a long time to ferret it out. The actual DOING it I don't mind but the figuring out the marketing plan (and I did that for decades at work!) is always tough.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I agree... The toughest part is figuring out what will work for you. I think I'd still enjoy the writing part more than the marketing, even if I had a cheatsheet on what works, to be honest though.

Victoria Zigler said...

P.S. It probably doesn't help that I always worry I'm coming off as too pushy when I ask people to buy my books, and worry they'll think I'm annoying so want to get far away from me instead.

Intense Guy said...

I hate making sales calls - and avoid doing so - that doesn't help business (or maybe it does since I think most of my clients are morons!)

Marketing is a "fine art".

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
*Nods in agreement with the last part of your comment*