Wednesday, June 21, 2017

#Writing Wednesday - June 21st 2017

I'm glad I planned to have all of June to get ready for the release of my new book, since it was only during this past week and a half that I finally got things arranged with those who are helping with release announcements for it. I had planned to arrange more than I have, but I don't think I'm going to have time to do so. Still, at least I'm getting better at remembering to arrange more than just an announcement for my own blog when I have a new book coming out. I still haven't had time to do much actual writing, but I'm doing all those writerly things that also have to be done alongside the writing (the things most people don't realise are required if you want to be taking your writing seriously, but which really are required and tend to take up a lot of time). In some ways I'd rather be using my time to do the actual writing part, but some of the other stuff is kinda fun too, and - as I said - these things need to get done.

Anyway, on to this week's links...

This first one is officially aimed at writers of short stories, but I think it's a good one regardless of the length of what you write. So, here's a post that may help you with identifying the genre of your story.

Starting your story with backstory? Don't! Get the reader interested first, and let them gradually learn the information they need; avoid your own book being abandoned after two pages, like the one in the post I just linked to.

Speaking of telling the reader things: As a general rule, you should show rather than tell in fiction. There are exceptions to this rule, of course, as there are with just about every writing rule. So, take a look at this post on the art of showing vs. telling. With that in mind, here are some tips on showing the passage of time.

Sticking with the theme of describing things for a moment... Well, kind of... If you write mysteries, you may want to check out this post on red herrings: how to keep your readers guessing.

I'm one of those writers who is lucky enough to be able to avoid having to juggle my writing around a nine to five job. The thing is though, people who find themselves in this kind of situation still have other things writing time needs to be juggled around. In my case it's health issues and pets, in the case of many others it may be small children. Whatever is the case with you, take some time to read these tips to stay professional in the work-at-home life.

Finally, check out this post on why we compare ourselves to other writers (and how we can stop). Yeah, I know it's easier said than done, but - like most things - it will get easier with practice.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Tori, I don't know how you find the time to both hunt out the links, write about them AND write your books! You are amazing!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Honestly? I don't know how I find the time to fit as much as I do in to my day either. LOL!