Friday, July 24, 2015

Furkid Friday - July 24th 2015

Hi humans, rodent types, and anyone of any other species who reads this.

This is Jacob the degu.

Sorry to be so late with today's bloggy post thing. The humans didn't have this computery thing turned on earlier, and we rodents didn't know the password to make it work.

Besides, Joshua and I were sorting out a problem with our wheel, which turned out to just be that one of our degu brothers - I'm pretty sure it was Jenks - had lodged our log roll thing under it to stop it going. It took the humans a while to figure out what we were making such a fuss about though, so they were slow coming to help us. But they got it pulled out in the end, and our wheel works again... YAY!

Anyway...

My degu brothers are recovered from their big fight that happened a few weeks ago - though I think they might have scars from it for the rest of their lives - but apparently they didn't learn from it, since they haven't stopped fighting. They haven't had any fights as nasty as the one that left all three of them with cuts though, thankfully. The humans and I hope they never have a bad fight like that again. No. They're just back to shoving each other, stealing from each other, etc. This is better than the nasty fighting, but still not a good thing, really.

I hate when they fight, and most of the time I go over to talk to my gerbil brothers when they start up. Their cage is right beside ours, and one of our ledges puts me at just the right height to be on a level with them if they go on the top level of their own cage, so it's perfect. I especially enjoy talking to Bilbo, who's always ready to lend a sympathetic ear when I want to talk. I do like Baggins too, but he's not so good at sitting still long enough for a decent chat; Baggins is an energetic little gerbil, and only stays still when he's eating or sleeping.

My gerbil brothers don't fight like my degu brothers do, that's why I like them so much; I'm a lover, not a fighter. My ratty sisters don't fight as much as my degu brothers either, though they fight more than my gerbil brothers do. So, why do my degu brothers like to fight so much? I don't get it!

I mean, it's obvious they love each other as much as I love them, since they're concerned about each other if they realize afterwards they hurt the other, and they get upset like I do if one of us is out of the cage without the others. They're even as eager as me for us to all sleep together every nap time.

This is why the humans don't seporate us; because between times we make it very obvious we're all very close, and would suffer terribly if we had to be parted. They've come close, but they can see my brothers and I love each other... Despite my brothers fighting so often over every single little thing.

The humans don't understand why my brothers fight so much either, and I guess if I can't figure it out then they have no chance of doing so. I really don't know why it is though... Sometimes it's just as hard to understand the behaviour of my own species as it is to understand humans. In other words, it's impossible!

Squeak soon,
Jacob

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Ah, there you are! Hmmm... The human needs to whisper the password to the "computery thing" into your ear so you can get it going - I bet you would use Google and see if you could find out anything about Degu aggression. Maybe its a make thing - maybe a lady Degu would calm the rowdy ones down some... They might go to their best "courtin'" behavior!

And you could send the humans an email saying what's up with the Wheel thing and so on. I'd bet if you emailed them about your conversations with Bilbo - they (and I) would really enjoy them!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I think you're right about most of that.. But not about the female thing; a female would make them fight worse, since male degus have been known to fight to the death for mating rights, even if they've shown no signs of aggression towards each other before.

Squeak soon,
Jacob