Monday, July 27, 2015

Monday's random mutterings - July 27th 2015 (FD)

My Mam, and my brother, Carl, came for a visit this past weekend.

We’d planned to go to Battle for the day Saturday, and have a picnic on the beach on Sunday, before going in to town to see what we could catch of this year's Pirate Day events (which was the original purpose of their visit being planned for this particular weekend). But the weather didn’t co-operate with us. There was a pretty good storm Friday night in to Saturday morrning, so we had to change our plans, since what we'd planned to do wasn't really advisable in slippery mud. Plus, it looked like it would rain again any moment, so we didn't want to be in the middle of things where we couldn't get in the dry again quickly if it did rain more. It didn't until Sunday, as it turned out, but everything was damp and muddy, and the black storm clouds were an ever-present threat. These things happen though, and we made the best of things, and had a pretty good weekend regardless.

On Saturday, the first thing we did was go for breakfast together. Carl and Mam had cooked breakfasts (egg, sausage, toast, mushrooms, bacon, hash browns, and a choice of beans or tomatoes; I never asked which they chose), I had an egg baguette, and Kelly had chicken pie with fries and peas. Yeah, I know Kelly’s wasn’t what you’d usually consider breakfast food, but it was available on the menu and he wanted it, so... *Shrugs*

Anyway, after breakfast we went to a few stores in the old part of town, as well as to a cute little coffee place that’s in that part of town; for a drink and a sit down. I think Kelly and I got bored of the stores before they did, but we get bored with shopping quickly anyway, and - though they do sell some unusual things - since we live around here, they aren't really a novelty to us, so it's hardly surprising. I did get some pirate treasure and some anseed balls though, so I was happy. Plus, the little coffee place was nice.

While in town, Carl and I made friends with a metal serpent...


I have no idea why there was a metal serpent there, but it was there, so we went to see it. Mam thought it was a snake, but I'm calling it a serpent, because it looks more like the sea serpents from old stories and legends than a snake to me... Or, perhaps, one of the versions of the dragons from old myths and legends; I've seen Chinese dragons that look sort of similar. Although, the head doesn't seem right for a dragon, which is why I'm more inclined to think sea serpent.

We also checked out a chess set that was set up there for some reason, which had plastic chess pieces that were a little over a foot high. Mam did get a few photos of that too, but I didn't bother getting Kelly to help me grab those off her Facebook.

Anyway, after that we went our own ways for a while, since Mam and Carl wanted to look in a couple of places really close to our apartment, so we decided to leave them to it and go check on the rodent gang (who appeared to be behaving themselves, and not too bothered by our disappearance). The other reason we seporated for a while is that none of us had slept well the night before, so everyone needed a bit of a nap.

We met up again in the evening and went for dinner at the cafe that’s at the hotel Mam and Carl were staying at. The food was really good. Carl had a beef and ale pie with mashed potatoes and peas, Mam had gammon and eggs with fries and peas, I had a red pepper and red onion quiche with fries and salad, and Kelly had smothered chicken with fries, coleslaw and salad. Kelly’s dinner also had a piece of garlic bread with it, but he gave it to me; he does like garlic bread, but he knows I love the stuff, and since they hadn’t put it anywhere near his chicken on his plate, I was quite happy to eat it for him. Dessert was oreo cream pie for Kelly, and cherry and apple crumble for the rest of us; with custard for me, and with ice-cream for Mam and Carl.

None of us slept all that well Saturday night either - most likely because we all had those afternoon naps - so Mam and Carl ended up getting bored and going to the beach in the early hours of Sunday morning, while it was dry enough to do so, and stopped in to say "hi" while they were nearby, since they saw we were up. This was Carl's first visit to our new place, and I know he's jealous of us being able to hear the ocean so well from our apartment; even with the windows closed.

Carl made friends with some of the rodent gang while they were here, and even Mam got brave enough to be within leaping distance for the rats while they were out of their cage. More on that in Friday's post.

We were going to have the picnic that was planned for Sunday at our place, but Mam and Carl decided to just pay us a quick visit, and bring me the jazz drops they'd fetched for me from one of the old style sweet shops that's near here, which they went to before coming to us, before heading back to Norwich (where Carl lives) since the bad weather that had been threatening to return had done so. Plus, I think they wanted to get back there before my Mam got too tired to do the drive.

So, that was my weekend, and - since nothing else worth mentioning happened recently - that's all I've got to say today, really.

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

You might enjoy this:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/55983540

http://www.publicsculpturesofsussex.co.uk/files/Hastings-Sculpture-trail.pdf

In any event it looks really neat! Did you see the big octopus nearby?

Hugs - I am glad you had a nice visit from your maam and brother!! Maybe next time the weather will cooperate!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Amazing how you often don't know half of what's happening in your own back yard, so to speak, eh? LOL!

No, I didn't see the octopus.

Intense Guy said...

Apparently, the serpent and the octopus are part of the chess game. The serpent is wrapped around a pawn, bishop or queen. The octopus is knocking over a chess piece.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Guess that's what happens when you try and play chess underwater, or too close to the beach, LOL!

Jeanie said...

I think that sounds like a wonderful weekend! Too bad about the rain but it looks like you found plenty to keep yourselves happily occupied! I'd say it sounds pretty close to perfect!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yeah, we found plenty to occupy ourselves, and enjoyed despite the rain.