Monday, July 13, 2015

Monday's random mutterings - July 13th 2015 (FD)

I finally got to spend some time down near the ocean on Tuesday.

The weather wasn't as beautiful as it has been, but it was nice enough to be out (despite the storm that was threatening) and, in some ways, the weather not being fantastic was better, because the beach wasn't so packed with people. Well, it being the middle of a weekday would have helped with that a little too, but on really nice days it seems everyone who doesn't have to be in work or school is on the beach, and it can get quite noisy and crowded. I prefer to have room to breathe, if you know what I mean, so I was glad to have an almost deserted stretch of beach to enjoy in peace. Besides, the weather wasn't too bad. I mean, it was obvious that storm was on the way; we could feel it and smell it in the air. But it was warm and dry enough that we didn't need jackets, and not too windy either.

Anyway, I sat down there by myself for a bit... Just enjoying feeling the breeze from the ocean, while listening to the waves crash against the shore, and the sea birds calling... While Kelly went to fetch lunch.

Kelly had chicken, I had an egg baguette, and we shared some fries. We gave the birds some of the fries too... The pigeons and gulls love when you throw them fries. Well, actually, they love when you throw them any food.

After lunch, we took a leisurely walk along the promonade for a while before heading home, and some of the birds followed us until we went up to the street. I think they hoped we had more lunch to share with them, but obviously gave up on us when they saw we were leaving.

We also saw a bird that may have been a Rosiate Tern. We're almost certain it was one... We're not bird experts, but we're as certain as we can be without a photo, or the bird itself, sitting in front of us to be compared with the pictures on the site. Of course, we didn't have our camera with us, hence the lack of photo.

Oh, and.. In case you're wondering... We made it home in plenty of time before the storm showed up. We'd been home about an hour when the wind picked up, and the storm happened some time later.

***

I've started roleplaying with my brother, Carl, my Dad, and a family friend named Gareth.

Since Dad and Gareth are the only two anywhere near each other, we're doing it via TeamSpeak, because it's a bit easier to use than Skype (especially for Carl and I, who are using screen readers). I mean, Jaws does work with Skype, but it works better with TeamSpeak. Besides, I think Dad likes TeamSpeak better.

We're playing the 7th edition of Call of Cthulhu at the moment. The guys had already had a couple of sessions when I joined in, but there wasn't all that much for me to catch up on, really. Just about two sessions, I think.

There's supposed to be a game about twice a month. This first session was last Monday afternoon, and the next will be on a Monday too (a week today). The day's meant to be changing after that though, since Monday afternoons are no longer good for Carl. So, I think we're changing to a Thursday afternoon instead.

Anyway, I'm playing a nurse named Roisin. It's set in the 1920s, so I'm playing a nurse of Irish descent (her name is the Irish for rose) who was a nurse in the 1st World War, because she wanted to be one so she could follow her fiance when he had to go to war. Although, if her luck continues like it did last week, I won't be playing her for long, since she's already quite beaten up... Apparently the luck of the Irish wasn't with her last Monday.

But, despite that, I did enjoy my first session of Call of Cthulhu. In fact, as I said on Facebook just after the session ended... It's probably the only time I'm ever going to be saying I had fun while having my arm torn open by the lethal claw of a flying monster thing, and then hitting my head on a stone grave marker so hard I almost passed out.

See... I said she was quite beaten up.

Still, it could have been worse... Those things could have been happening to me, rather than just to my character!

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I hope you did see a Roseate Tern!! I think they have gotten rather rare. We have them here - they migrate past the shore house a little bit further north - all the way from the northern (Gulf) shoreline of South America.

And yes, I'm glad it is your character and not you getting beat up!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yeah, they are quite rare. That's why I'm so annoyed we didn't have the camera... Might not get lucky enough to see one again any time soon.

Rita said...

Glad you got some beach time! And got back before the storm hit.
Have fun gaming. Dagan still runs a group, but they've been on hiatus most of the summer. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I'm glad about the beach time too... And even more glad we were home before the storm hit!

Yeah, a lot of groups take breaks for the Summer. Mind you, with how busy Dagan and Leah seem to be lately, I'm not surprised to hear the group Dagan runs is taking a break right now... Summer or not.

Jeanie said...

So glad you were finally able to get down to the beach! To see the tern must have made your visit extra special. Oh, I do love summer, but there is never enough time, is there?

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Very true! I wonder what it is about Summer that makes it seem there's never enough time, while there seems to be plenty of it in Winter? Perhaps it's just the sunshine calling us outside to play?