Monday, November 09, 2015

The A-Z of fruits and vegetables (FD and LBE)

While doing the A-Z list I did last month, I got to wondering if there was a fruit or vegetable for every letter of the alphabet. I spent ages listing fruits and vegetables in my head, but still couldn't be sure if there were some for certain letters... Like X, for example. So, I Googled it.

Turns out there is, and here's the list I've managed to put together from various sources:

A:
Achoccha
Alpalfa
Amaranth
Angelica
Anise
Aonori
Apple
Apricot
Arrowroot
Arrugula
Artichoke
Asparagus
Atemoya
Aubergine
Avocado

B:
Bamboo
Banana
Bean sprouts
Bearberry
Beetroot or beet
Bilberry
Black-eye bean
Blackberry
Blueberry
Bok choy
Boysenberry
Broad bean
Broccoli
Brussel sprouts
Burdock
Butternut Squash

C:
Cabbage
Calabaza
Cantaloupe
Capers
Carambola
Cardoon
Carrot
Cauliflower
Celeriac
Celery
Chard
Cherimoya
Cherry
Chick pea
Chicory
Chinese Cabbage
Chinese Jujube
Chives
Chokeberry
Cilantro
Clementine
Coconut
Coconut Palm
Collards
Comfrey
Corn salad
Corn
Courgette
Cranberry
Cuban Sweet Potato
Cucumber
Cumquats
Currant

D:
Daikon
Damson
Dandelion
Dasheen
Date
Dill
Dragonfruit
Durian

E:
Earthnut pea
Eggfruit
Eggplant
Elderberry
Endive

F:
Fava bean
Feijoa
Fennel
Fig
French bean

G:
Garden rocket
Garlic
Genipap
Gherkin
Giant Granadilla
Ginger
Ginseng
Gooseberry
Gourds
Grape
Grapefruit
Green Bean
Guava

H:
Hackberry
Haricot bean
Hickory nut
Hijiki
Honey dew melon
Horse mango
Horseradish
Huckleberry

I:
Iceburg lettuce
Indian corn
Indian fig
Indian pea
Ita Palm

J:
Jackfruit
Jalapeno
Jamaica Cherry
Jerusalem artichoke
Jícama
Jujube

K:
Kai-lan
Kale
Kiwano
Kiwifruit
Kohlrabi
Komatsuna or kai-lan
Kuka
Kurrat

L:
Leek
Lemon
Lentils
Lettuce
Lime
Lingonberry
Loquat
Lovage
Lychee

M:
Mace
Mandarin
Mango
Mangosteen
Marrow
Melon
Mulberry
Mung bean
Mushroom
Mustard

N:
Nannyberry
Natal Plum
Nectarine
Neem
New Zealand Spinach
Nopal
Nutmeg

O:
Oil palm
Okra
Olive
Onion
Orache
Orange

P:
Parsnip
Paprika
Parsley
Parsnip
Passionfruit
Papaya,
Pea
Peach
Pear
Pepper
Persimmon,
Petit Pois
Pineapple
Plantain
Plum
Pomegranate
Potato
Prickly pear
Pumpkin

Q:
Quandong
Quince
Quinine

R:
Radish
Radicchio
Raisin
Rambutan
Raspberry
Red Banana
Rhubarb
Rice bean
Romaine Lettuce
Rose apple
Runner bean
Rutabega

S:
Saffron
Satsuma
Sea grape
Seaweed
Shallot
Sorel
Spinach
Soybean
Squash
Star fruit
Strawberry
Sugar apple
Sugar snap peas
Summer Squash
Swamp cabbage
Sweetcorn
Sweet potato
Swiss Chard

T:
Tamarind
Tangerine
Taro
Tigernut
Tomato
Truffle
Turnip

U:
Ugli fruit
Ugni
Ulluco
Upland cress
Urad bean

V:
Vanilla
Velvet bean
Victoria plum
Voavanga

W:
Wasabi
Water celery
Water chestnut
Watercress
Watermelon
Wax apple
Wax bean
Wolfberry

X:
Xerophyte
Xigua
Ximenia fruit

Y:
Yacón
Yam
Yangmei
Yardlong bean
Yellow pitaya
Yellow watermelon

Z:
Zucchini

Personally, I think a few of them are debatable as to whether they count as fruit or vegetables; I'd put some in a "herbs and spices" list, for example. But they were included on some alphabet lists I found for fruits and vegetables, and they are certainly growing things rather than being animal based, so I added them anyway.

Did I miss anything? If so, feel free to tell me.

*Please note: the above list is taken from various sources, which you can find if you Google various questions about fruits and vegetables for the letters of the alphabet. If anything is spelled wrong, don't blame me... I copied and pasted from lists I found, and - after putting everything in alphabetical order - only deleted if the item was exactly identical to another.

Also, please note that some of the fruits and vegetables on the list are the same as others, but known by different names... I recently learned that courgettes and zucchinis are the same thing, for example. But I decided to list them all anyway, since I couldn't be bothered to look up everything I wasn't sure of so as to find out what's another name for what, if that makes sense. I will look up what I'm not sure of at some point, but putting the list together took long enough as it was. So... If you're not sure what something is... Look it up. It could be a new fruit or vegetable to you, or it could be that you know it as a different name (which happened to me with zucchinis... I thought I'd never had one, because it was a new vegetable name to me, but it turns out I have, but didn't know that was another name for a courgette).

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

That is quite a list! I think there dozens of beans - like black, navy, and pinto.

Jeanie said...

Bravo! That took some time -- and it's a great list. Need to remember some of those for Scrabble!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are some missing, but it's tricky to tell when so many go by two or more names.

Jeanie:
Absolutely! Some of those would make great Scrabble words!

Rita said...

There are some of these I've never heard of. Quite a list! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I've not heard of some of them myself. But they appeared on fruit and vegetable alphabet lists, so they got put on my alphabet list.