Sunday, November 29, 2015

TV talk and movie mutterings - November 2015 (LBE)

We figured out how to make the audio description go on for the Sky box, and - even better - they've improved it since I last had Sky, because it now appears to stay on until you turn it off in the settings; it used to turn off if you changed the channel, or turned the box off. Well, OK, my Mam helped us figure it out. But it works now, so it doesn't really matter who made it work. Of course, it's still hit and miss as to whether the show has it or not, like it was with my freeview box, but that's the fault of the people making the shows, not Sky.

Now, if I could only get audio menu navigation too...

Actually, a little birdy told me that may be something that happens in the not-too-distant future... I hope that's true!

Anyway...

Since I've watched a few new to me movies and TV shows recently, I thought I'd do a post to tell you which ones I've watched, and what I thought of them. Only "new to me" ones mind you... I'm not mentioning re-watched favourite movies, or Tv shows you already know I enjoy watching.

I've not written very detailed reviews, but instead just given my opinion of the movie or TV show in question, so I've included links to where you can find out more about the movie or TV show, if you want to... Just click on the title of it, and you'll go right there.

So...

Maleficent (movie):
I loved this movie! I mean, I've always liked the Sleeping Beauty stories, but I just love this version! It's great getting to see the story from another point of view, and learn what made the wicked fairy so wicked. Not all fairy tale retellings are done well, but this one is, in my opinion.

In To The Woods (movie):
This is one fairy tale retelling I wasn't so impressed with. It's not Disney's worst movie, but it's certainly not their best either, and - quite frankly - I didn't think much of it. I mean, it was an OK movie, but far from being a great one, in my opinion.

Extinction: Jurrassic Predator (movie):
This one was absolute rubbish! I was all excited about a new Jurrassic Park type movie, and couldn't have been more disappointed. Not only were we an hour in to the movie before anything more exciting than a dislocated arm happened, but when we finally did get some dinosaur action it was pathetic (not to mention, over so quickly you'd have missed it if you blinked). On top of that, whoever was in charge of the movie sound effects obviously knows nothing about jungles; even if the presence of a bunch of bickering humans wasn't enough to have the jungle animals feeling threatened so going quiet, the presence of dangerous predators like the dinosaurs certainly would have been. Yet, during the entire movie, birds and insects were happily tweeting and chirping away in the background. I may not have noticed that had I not been so painfully bored, but I was... An hour of just listening to a bunch of supposedly grown men and women bickering will do that to you. I'm glad I saw this as part of the Sky package I was already paying for, because if I'd spacifically paid to watch it, I'd be demanding my money back! Oh, and... Not being able to see has nothing to do with how little I enjoyed the movie. Kelly watched this one with me, and thought it was rubbish too.

The Boxtrolls (movie):
Now this is one I wouldn't have been able to enjoy without the audio description, so I'm glad we got it working, since I would have missed a great movie! I mean, it's not out of this world amazing, but I really enjoyed it; it was sweet and touching, as well as being entertaining.

The Good Witch's Wonder (movie):
I think the movies in this series are great, and this one was no exception. That is all!

Muppets Most Wanted (movie):
This was a pretty good movie, which fans of the Muppets will love. It's exactly what you'd expect from a movie with the Muppets in it: entertaining, and often amusing. Not my favourite Muppet movie, but I did enjoy watching it.

Annie (movie):
This wasn't a bad movie as such, but it's certainly not the best of the Annie movies. I've seen - and loved - both the 1982 and the 1999 versions, and this new one is nowhere near as good.

Tinker Bell And The Legend Of The NeverBeast (movie):
This was an entertaining and sweet movie, with an excellent lesson in it about not being too quick to judge.

Frozen (movie):
I absolutely LOVED this movie! I'm not sure what it was in particular that made me love it as much as I did, but I thought it was an amazing movie, and could have quite happily watched it again immediately after finnishing it the first time. In fact, had I been watching it on DVD instead of on Sky Movies Disney, I might have just hit "play" again the moment it was finnished! Actually, if I'm honest, I've already watched it twice, despite having only seen it for the first time a couple of weeks ago; when I saw it was about to start the other day, I couldn't resist!

The Librarians (TV series):
I've only caught a couple of episodes of this show, but enjoyed what I've seen. Kelly's seen more of it than me, and appears to love it. I can see why. I won't go as far as to say it's one I'd consider a new favourite, but it's worth watching, and I've found the episodes I've seen to be enjoyable and entertaining. There are supposed to be some movies too, but I haven't seen those.

Star Wars Rebels (TV series):
I love Star Wars, so it's no surprise I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen of the new Star Wars animated series. I did enjoy the Clone Wars version more though. Not that there's anything wrong with the Rebels one... I just thought the Clone Wars series was more entertaining. Still, this one is good too, and we're both enjoying it.

Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales (TV series):
This one is amusing, and fairly entertaining, but not as good as the other Star Wars cartoons.

Marvels Guardians Of The Galaxy (TV series):
This one is not very good. I haven't seen the movie, but I've watched a couple of episodes of the TV series now, and honestly didn't think much of it. I've seen worse, but I've also seen a lot better. It's one of those I'll watch if there's nothing better on, but I'd never go out of my way to watch it.

Monsters Vs. Aliens (TV series):
I've seen the movie version of this, and loved it. But I don't really think too much of the TV series. It has its moments, but it's nowhere near as good as the movie, and is another one I'd only watch if there's nothing better on, to be honest.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (TV series):
I grew up watching My Little Pony 'n Friends, so when I learned there was a new My Little Pony cartoon, I just had to check it out. Call me a big kid if you like, but I think it's really sweet, and have enjoyed the episodes I've seen. I'm nowhere near as obsessed as I was as a child, since my love of horses is now just a love of them, not an obsession with them. But I'm still enjoying feeling like I'm young again while returning to my childhood love of watching ponies. Besides, I love how they make a point of changing things just slightly to make them horse related. Like when they say "anypony" or "everypony" or how they live in places like "Canterlot."

Our Little Family (TV series):
I like learning about how people with disabilities overcome those issues to function as "normally" - for lack of an alternative word - as possible. I don't know if it's because I have a disability of my own, or if the simple curiosity and nosyness most humans are filled with is the only reason for my interest... Maybe a bit of both? Either way, I started watching this show, and am finding it interesting so far.

Dr. Jeff: Rocky Mountain Vet (TV series):
I like to watch vet shows... Even if they often make me cry when the outcome for some pets isn't good, or when an animal has gone through a rough ride but things are finally looking up for them. So far this one seems to be a pretty good vet show, and it's nice getting to see a vet caring for more than just cats and dogs.

Loch Lomond: A Year In The Wild (TV documentary):
This is a very interesting documentary; great for animal and nature lovers in general, and especially worth watching if you're someone interested in Scottish wildlife in particular.

6 comments:

Deanna said...

David and I saw Maleficent in the theater and LOVED it. We keep meaning to see Frozen but just haven't gotten around to it.

Rita said...

We don't watch the same types of movies. The only one of these I saw was Into The Woods and I was not impressed at all. But I am so glad you have things figured out so that you can watch more programs!! That is always good in my book--LOL! ;)

Jeanie said...

I've not seen a lot of these but I have to say I loved √Źnto the Woods. Maybe because it was a Sondheim musical and didn't have a happy ending. I'm not sure why but I did enjoy it tremendously.

Ah, Frozen! I saw a lot of little "Frozen" girls come to my door on Halloween!

Victoria Zigler said...

Deanna:
I'm glad you enjoyed Maleficent, and hope you get to see Frozen soon!

Rita:
Actually, I'll watch just about any type of movie; my taste in movies is as varied as my taste in books. These just happen to be the ones I've seen recently that I hadn't seen before.

Jeanie:
I do often enjoy musicals - as evidenced by the fact I enjoy the older versions of Annie, and absolutely loved Frozen - but In To The Woods just didn't do it for me.

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you got the audio description stuff to work! I know I'd be lost without closed captioning - lip-reading a TV show is hard work!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
We saw how to work that on our TV too; the setting is right by the one for audio description.