Friday, January 15, 2016

Furkid Friday: Bilbo health report

Hi everyone. This is Bilbo the gerbil.

I get tired very easy now, so I'm going to make this as short as I can.

I started to not feel too great the day after mine and Baggins' birthday; I was tired, and didn't feel like doing much. The following day I was worse, and had gunked up eyes and nose, as well as feeling really awful. So the human caretakers took me to see the vet.

That was not fun at all! Not only did I get pulled about by the vet, but I also had to have two rides in one of those taxi things. I hated the ride in it when we moved here at the start of last year, and having to ride in a noisy taxi when I was feeling so bad was pure torture!

Anyway, the vet gave them something called "aunty biotics" and showed my human caretakers how to clear the gunk from my eyes and nose properly without hurting me (since we gerbils are easily hurt by you giant humans). Then we came home, and I spent a couple of days with the human caretakers squirting nasty tasting medicine stuff in to my mouth (which I didn't like) as well as squirting sugar water in to my mouth (which I loved). Apparently the sugar water was because I wasn't getting enough fluids where I was too weak to make the trip to the water bottle.

I was glad when the nasty tasting medicine stuff stopped, but wish they'd continued with the sugar water, since it was very tasty. They stopped doing it when I managed to get strong enough to go to the water bottle and food bowl myself though... Pitty!

Anyway, I'm doing better than I was, but I still get tired very easy, get confused sometimes, and prefer to sleep more than anything else. The vet says that's probably my age though, since I am two now, after all!

Squeak soon,
Bilbo

6 comments:

Rita said...

Sorry to hear that. Diseases knock little critters down so easily. Birds and rodents do not like to show weakness for as long as possible because visible weaknesses make them vulnerable to predators. By the time a rodent or a bird shows they are ill they are usually really sick. Sounds like you have a good vet. I hope he totally recovers quickly. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
He did seem to be doing a lot better. But as of this morning he's back to not doing so well again. *frowns*

Intense Guy said...

Poor Bilbo. Perhaps he dreams of living with the immortal elves in Rivendell.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Perhaps... I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Deanna said...

Sorry to hear he isn't feeling well again. :(

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Deanna!