Thursday, January 14, 2016

Important announcement for those following my blog via a Blogger account

Supposedly there was an e-mail sent out about this, but I never got it. First I heard about it was when I saw other people posting about it. However, I thought I should make sure everyone knew, so I went looking for the information.

The following is taken from a post on the "blogger buzz" blog that comes up on the Blogger dashboard:

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.

As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.

Personally, I think they should have left things alone, since people should be allowed to follow blogs how they choose to. But, it's not up to me.

If this change makes it difficult for you to follow me as normal, please bear in mind that my blog feed can also be accessed via Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads. Plus, there's a "follow by e-mail" option somewhere on the sidebar, so you can use that if you like.

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

Yup. Good ol' blogger. Well, you're still showing up in my feed, so good for me!

Intense Guy said...

I'm still trying to figure out what this announcement actually means!

What are "non-Google Account profiles"?

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Glad to hear that! :)

Iggy:
There are two different kinds of accounts you can use to log in to Blogger. One is the same Blogger account that was around when we first started blogging, and the other is an updated one that allows you access to all the Google stuff (like Google plus, for example). The second one has only been around for a few years. If you have the old version, you may soon experience difficulties following blogs if you follow them via your Blogger dashboard. If you have the new one that gives you access to things like Google Plus, you're fine. That's the gist of it, anyway. If you have the old version, you "should" have something on your blogger dashboard saying something about upgrading or linking to a Google account. I hope that helps, because that's about all I know myself.

Rita said...

I never got any email about all this, either. I originally signed into Blogger with my yahoo email address because I didn't have a gmail account. I don't even think there was gmail back then. Google has tried to get me to switch over so many times--youtube, too. So I may have issues. Maybe that is why I never got one of their emails, come to think of it. Google is trying to take over the world.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I originally had a normal Blogger account too, but upgraded when I started blogging again, because I only had my gmail e-mail address by that point, and it was the only way to be able to use that address with my blog.

I think you're right about Google trying to take over the world though. I also think they're doing a great job of it so far...

Deanna said...

It's getting pretty difficult to navigate the interwebs without Google. On the one hand, if something ever happens to them it's going to be pretty traumatic. On the other, all the integrated services *do* make things easier and I love Gmail. In any case, I follow blogs via Feedly so none of this affects me. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Deanna:
I agree... Having everything all combined so you sign in once and can access everything is easier. On the other hand... As you pointed out... If anything ever happens to Google, it's not going to be pretty!

Personally, I think this is just a step closer to what most sci-fi authors seem to agree will happen eventually. In other words, us being linked to a system that recognizes us as soon as we connect to it, and gives us access to absolutely everything just by connecting to a system. I'm waiting for them to demand thumb print identification scans, or for me to need to send them an angry e-mail because they're demanding you use something that scans your eye.