Monday, January 25, 2016

Of tea traditions and lemon meringue pie (FD)

Are you interested in Chinese culture? Or, are you a lover of all things tea related?

If either of those applies to you, you may find these tea facts from Chinese culture interesting.

***

I made lemon meringue pie for the first time about a week and a half ago.

Well, actually, I should say "we" did, because Kelly helped, since seporating egg whites from the yolks isn't easy at the best of times, and is even more difficult when you can't see what you're doing. But still...

It turned out OK.

I'm not sure if it was just that the lemony stuff was too warm when we put the egg whites on top of it, or that my Dad's marmalade was too runny to be a good lemony stuff substitute, or both. Either way, the meringue sort of sunk down in to the lemony stuff, which meant that the meringue part wasn't quite right, didn't sit on top of the lemony stuff like it's meant to do, and wouldn't set properly.

I'm 99% sure it was something to do with the part where we added the meringue on top of the lemony stuff, anyway, since the bowl of egg white mixture seemed to be doing OK before that. Plus, some parts of the meringue that escaped being mixed with the lemony stuff did what they were meant to, and were looking like meringue should.

If you're wondering... The lemony stuff was warm because we cooked it a bit more to thicken it slightly, since my Dad's marmalade isn't as thick as most marmalade or jam... It's more of a fruit preserve kind of thing. Cooking it a bit more did help to thicken it up, but there was too much heat in it when we put the meringue on top, I think.

I don't usually cheat with the fruity part of a pie/tart by using jam or marmalade. I just had a jar of my Dad's marmalade left, wanted to use it, and fancied lemon meringue pie. So, I thought I'd cheat and use it. After all, it works for jam tarts, doesn't it?

Like I said, I don't usually cheat with it, but I have done it for jam tarts once or twice before, and it worked fine. But then, when I was doing the jam tarts, I didn't need to add anything on top of them, and could just leave them to cool enough to be eaten without you being burned by hot jam.

Anyway, it turned out pretty good for a first attempt, which is what it was, since neither of us had attempted anything with meringues before.

Plus, it tasted good... Not fantastic, but pretty good... It just wasn't going to be winning any prizes... Especially not any for presentation.

But, like I said, it tasted good, so I was happy enough with it, and enjoyed eating it, which is the most important thing, right?

It probably wasn't the best idea to experiment with my first attempt at making something. But, never mind.

Next time we won't cheat on the lemony part by using a jar of my Dad's marmalade. Hopefully then we'll do a better job of making lemon meringue pie. In the meantime, at least we can say we tried!

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

I've never made jam tarts and I do have a good recipe. That seems to call me right now! Ah, lemons. When life gives you lemon marmalade, make a lemon pie! Or tart!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Quite, LOL! And you should totally go and make those jam tarts... Just because. ;)

Rita said...

I have never tried making that. Always seemed daunting. I'd say if it turned out edible with making substitutions you did well. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I agree: it turned out edible, so that counts as a success. :)

That's how come I've never made it before, despite the fact I really enjoy it... It always seemed like such a daunting task.

Intense Guy said...

Better luck next time with the pie! If it tasted good - it's a success!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Iggy!

Deanna said...

I've never made lemon meringue pie - mainly because it's not my favorite type of pie and I'm more likely to make what I like. I've done meringue on coconut or pineapple cream pies. That was my grandmother's specialty. It turned out fine but I decided it was too much work for something I don't really care that much about. Now when I make those pies I top them with homemade whipped cream instead. And then I don't have to figure out what to do with all those egg yolks. Ha!

Victoria Zigler said...

Deanna:
LOL! Well, that's one way around it. ;)