Monday, January 18, 2016

TV talk and movie mutterings - January 2016 (LBE)

We got a new TV at the start of the month.

It's not a big one, nor anything fancy, but the speakers of our old one were making popping and crackling noises (understandable, really, since we'd had the old TV for close to eleven years, and it had moved house and been in dusty rooms a lot during that time, which made me surprised it was still working). So, anyway, we thought it was time to get a new one. Besides, the Sky people gave us a pre-paid card that could only be used in certain places as a welcome gift, and one of those places was where we'd seen a decent TV for not much more than the amount on the card, which meant we only had a small amount to add to the price of the TV ourselves.

Like I said, our new TV isn't anything fancy, but it's actually a modern TV, and it's new, and doesn't make popping and crackling noises at us, so we're pleased with it. We had an interesting time trying to figure out how to work it in the first place mind you, but we got there in the end, and have been able to enjoy it ever since.

On the subject of TV related things... Here's another post full of new to me movies and TV shows. Some of these are actually the non-holiday related ones I watched last month, which is partly responsible for there being so many to post about already this month; hence my deciding to post this now, instead of waiting a couple more weeks.

Well, that was part of the reason. I also decided to post this now so as to include the information that Alan Rickman died... For the benifit of those who may have missed hearing about it. There are probably very few - if any - who haven't heard, but you never know.

Regardless of whether you knew already, or only know because I just told you, I'm sure you'll agree that it's sad news. I'm also certain that your thoughts are, like my own, with his loved ones at this time.

*Clears throat* Ahem... Anyway...

As with the similar posts from the past couple of months, I've not written very detailed reviews, but instead just given my opinion of the movie or TV show in question, so I've included links to where you can find out more about the movie or TV show, if you want to... Just click on the title of it, and you'll go right there.

Yes, I know I watch a lot of cartoons and kids movies... Don't judge me! I write for children, so checking out what's already available for them technically counts as research. Yes, it really does! What do you mean you're not buying that excuse? It's a perfectly valid one, and I'm sticking with it... So there!

Anyway...

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (movie):
Since I loved the first one, I was very eager to watch this one, and hoped it would be as good. It was!

Winnie The Pooh (movie):
This was a cute movie, which fans of Winnie The Pooh, and his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood, will enjoy.

Tinker Bell And The Pirate Fairy (movie):
This was a great movie for fairy fans of all ages, as well as being an excellent addition to the Tinker Bell series of movies.

Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (movie):
This was a pretty good movie, with some very entertaining scenes. A great one to watch as a family.

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water (movie):
This is an entertaining movie, which has all the comedy and crazy antics from your average SpongeBob episode, in one long movie... In other words, fans of the SpongeBob TV series will love this one!

The Theory Of Everything (movie):
I find Stephen Hawking to be a very interesting man, with a brilliant mind, and always enjoy hearing his theories on how things in the universe work. So I was eager to get a glimpse in to some of his life through this movie. I was not disappointed; it was a fantastic and very interesting movie.

Cinderella (movie):
This was another I'd been wanting to see for a while. I love fairy tale re-tellings, after all. As it happened, this was a really good one, with some fantastic - and sometimes amusing - scenes in it. I really enjoyed it.

Teacher's Pet (movie):
I thought the TV series for this was sort of entertaining when I saw it before... Not fantastic, but entertaining enough... So when I saw the movie about to start, I decided to watch it. Well, it was an "OK" movie, but the TV series was better. This isn't one I'd be in any hurry to recommend.

Dino Time (movie):
I love dinosaurs, so I was excited to see another dinosaur movie I could watch. As it turned out, it was a cute and entertaining movie. Not the best movie I've seen recently... Despite the dinosaurs... But an enjoyable and fun movie.

The Ant Bully (movie):
This was a great movie, with a wonderful message about how being bigger than someone doesn't make you better than them, nor give you the right to bully them.

The Book Of Life (movie):
Honestly? I didn't really enjoy this movie. It had some pretty good scenes, but overall I didn't feel it was all that great; for a movie so full of action, and scenes of violence, I felt it was actually quite dull.

Fungus The Bogeyman (TV mini series):
This one was sort of amusing... Though in a disgusting sort of way. I seriously advise against eating while watching this show, by the way, unless you have an extremely strong stomach. However, I could deal with that... I mean, I'd sort of expected it from what I'd heard about the show before watching it, and what else would you expect from a show about a bogeyman called Fungus? It was a bit more disgusting than I'd expected though. Also, it wasn't the best of shows. Not because of the grossness factor. No. My main issue with it was actually that it felt like they were more interested in having enough material to fill a certain amount of time than in making the plot move at a good pace; the plot moves too slowly, which made it difficult for me to stay interested in the show. Slow plots can work sometimes, but it didn't work this time... They'd have been better off cutting the runtime in half to keep things moving better.

Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles (web and TV special series):
This is a very entertaining - and often extremely amusing - Star Wars series, which is my favourite of the TV serieses I've seen for Star Wars so far. It's a must see for all Star Wars fans, in my opinion.

CSI: Cyber (TV series):
This one is far from being my favourite of the CSI TV serieses. Still, it is an interesting show.

Elementary (TV series):
I'm not sure how I feel about this series. On the one hand, a new and modern take on Sherlock Holmes is great, and I do like seeing new twists to things. On the other hand, it feels wrong having Sherlock Holmes amid modern technology. So, part of me is enjoying the series, while another part of me is struggling to accept Sherlock Holmes in a more modern setting. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good series. I think I'd be able to enjoy it more if I wasn't so used to the old Sherlock Holmes though.

Babar And The Adventures Of Badou (TV series):
I always loved to watch Babar when I was younger... Well, OK... I admit it... I also love to watch it now that I'm all grown up too, if I happen to see re-runs of it on TV. So, of course, when I saw there was a new Babar TV series, I had to see if it was any good. Anyway, it's really good, though not as good as the original. I'm not just saying this because of fond memories of the original either... The original really is better. However, having said that, as I already mentioned... The new one is really good too. To summorize: it's not as good as the original, but Babar fans may still really enjoy it.

Tip The Mouse (TV series):
I was originally only watching this one because it was on before ponies. I've discovered that it's a really cute cartoon though, and fun to watch. Tip is a cute little mouse, and I think the lessons he learns are great ones.

Harry And His Bucket Full of dinosaurs (TV series):
I love dinosaurs... Especially Triceratopses... So had to watch this one. It turns out it's a fun little cartoon series, which is entertaining, and sometimes also educational. There's not been that much learning about the dinosaurs in the episodes I've seen so far, which is a bit of a shame, but little Harry has learned some other lessons and skills, which is almost as good, and just as important. Plus, did I mention the show has dinosaurs in it? I did? Well... I really do love the dinosaurs...

Finding Bigfoot (TV series):
If you have any interest at all in the legend of Bigfoot, then this is a series you should be watching. It's an interesting series.

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

So many people have given great praise to "Cinderella"--I need to check it out. I like Elementary well enough but I really love the BBCs Sherlock much more. More inventive and clever -- if sometimes harder to follow. It strikes me as more faithful to the originals, despite the contemporary focus.

Alan Rickman. Big sigh. I've been reading lots of articles and obits about him. Always loved his work and his amazing voice. What a sad loss.

Deanna said...

I need to add "The Theory of Everything" to my Netflix queue. Sounds like something David and I would both enjoy.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yes, it's a real shame about Alan Rickman, and he will be missed. Also, yes, you should watch Cinderella. I haven't managed to catch an episode of Sherlock yet, to be honest. I sort of got out of touch with what was happening on TV when we didn't have any for most of 2015 due to a dodgy aerial. I'll have to try and check it out though.

Deanna:
I think you will enjoy The Theory Of Everything.

Rita said...

I shall miss Alan Rickman! He was one of those actors that when he was on the screen you couldn't look elsewhere.

I have really enjoyed Elementary, but even moreso I LOVE Sherlock on PBS with Benedict Cumberbatch! That's set in modern day, too. I got over the modern thing pretty quickly, I guess.

The Theory of Everything was fascinating because I didn't know much about Stephen Hawking's life. Excellent movie!

Cinderella was okay. Haven't seen any of the rest of these. Oh, before I lost TV I had seen a few of the new CSI_Cyber and it was pretty good. Creepy, but interesting what they can do these days! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah, I guess you found it easier to get over the modern day thing with Elementary than me.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Theory Of Everything too.

Regarding CSI Cyber... I agree... It's creepy but amazing what they can do these days.

Intense Guy said...

Glad you got the new telly working! I would imagine the static and noise would drive you crazy!

I agree with Rita, the PBS show with Benedict Cumberbatch is awesome!

I enjoy Babar, SpongeBob, and Harry and his bucket too!!

Do you get "Dinosaur Train"?

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yes, the noise was driving me crazy. It's much better now we have the new TV.

I'm not sure if we get "Dinosaur Train"... I'll have to look out for it being mentioned on the cartoon channels...