Sunday, April 17, 2016

Haiku with an ocean theme, for National Haiku Poetry Day 2016

As you probably know, it's National Poetry Month this month. On top of that, as I was reminded this morning by this post by Annette Rochelle Aben, today is National Haiku Poetry Day.

In celebration, I thought I'd share a couple of my own haiku style poems, both of which were inspired by listening to the ocean at different times (though, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to say so, since you'd have easily figured that out by reading them).

Anyway...

This first one I wrote last year:

Sea birds call
Foamy waves crash
Cold wind howls

© 2015

And this one I wrote more recently:

Youngsters laugh and play,
Splashing in the chilly sea,
Making watchers smile.

© 2016

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Both your haikus capture the mood and energy of the sea. They "take you there." Very nice!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie! :)

Rita said...

Both are very good. I agree with Jeannie--they capture being at the sea. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Rita! :)

Intense Guy said...

I agree! These are really good!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks... Glad you enjoyed them!